grease in an all night cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott w

Well, cook number 2 consisted of brisket. One was done entirely onthe WSM, the other came off my offset and onto the WSM about 6 hours into the cook. As I readied for bed (about 4 hours into the WSM session) I noticed heavy smoke from the WSM.

In essence, fat drippings & water from the briskets were filling up the pan and spilling over onto the charcoal. So I had to dismantle everything, dump the grease+water and refill with less water.

So I can't imagine doing 2 or 4 butts and sleeping for more than a couple hours before a good grease fire erupts. Is it time to invest in the brinkman pan and go sand+water (read that in an archive somewhere). Or is there some good way to deal with this grease issue if I want to run the WSM realtively unattended.

Scott,
I have done 3 Butts before, and two Butts on top and a brisket on the bottom before and never have had that problem
Maybe too much water? I never fill my pan all the way.
Do any comps in Texas?
Mike

Thanks Mike. I was filling the pan near the top thinking it would evaporate or boil off before the grease became a problem.

I just do local competitions in the houston area (Pearland mostly). Never really ventured outside of that.

Brinkman pan is great, and also a lot more safe. With it you can more safely remove the assembled top section.

If you don't want to buy the Brinkman pan right away, just do the sand thing until the weather turns warmer. Sand is perfect for an overnite cook since you don't have to mess with any water.

been to lowes & home depot- don't carry just the brinkman pan. i'll look at the links here at tvwb, but where are you guys getting the pan?

I ordered mine from Brinkmann online, I think it was around $13? I was in the Bass Pro store in OKC the other week and they had them on the shelf for around $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back