Grate size

I recently purchased this top grate for me 19” WSM

its just a bit too small, if it doesn’t get perfectly centered, it can fall off the supports. Its also too small to use directly on the base, as I like to do for grilling. What the deal here? shouldn’t this be 18 in? Did Weber change something?

I went to the amazon link, look at the third picture. It says it does not fit the WSM 18, which is super frustrating because in the description is states.
  • Fits the Bar-B-Kettle and Smokey Mountain cooker smoker

What I have started to due was look for the Weber product code. The top grate of the WSM 18 is #80634. So I put that in amazon.
Here is what I found.

I do not know why it is so much more pricy then the one you got or why they are both advertised as 17.5" grates, but must be mildly different. Someone with more knowledge or experience will have to help both of us understand that one.

The linked product says it is for the 18” kettle, not the 18” wsm. See picture in ad:

View attachment 38539
Yeah that is the photo I saw also, but in Dale's defense, it said in the product description "Fits the Bar-B-Kettle and Smokey Mountain cooker smoker" and it is a weber part. This one is confusing to me... What is the difference between Weber part#7432 and Weber part#80634?

That's weird. Standard 17.5" grate used to fit both kettles and WSM's.
I have had some that measured like 17 3/8"

When I ordered, I read all this. I ordered because of the statement that It fits WSM in the description. This is frustrating, as is, it’s a bit dangerous, as it can fall through. It can however fit on the lower position, with a bit of fiddling. I guess I could fabricate some kind of extensions on the grate supports to solve? Just long bolts?

I think you just got one that was a little off size in manufacture. I've bought the 7432 several times for my WSM 18 and they've all fit just fine. Weber.com says 7432 fits the WSM.

They are also easy to find and cheap as a standard stock item at Ace Hardware, HD, Lowes, Target, etc. Buy one locally and see if it fits. If not, return it. You can also buy a non-Weber grate from multiple other makers.

And return or toss the one you got from Amazon. At less than $20 bucks, it doesn't make sense to be doing funky work-arounds. Just get one that fits.

For grilling, most on here would put the cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring. Not on the rim of the lower bowl. Explained here.

Last edited:
When I ordered, I read all this. I ordered because of the statement that It fits WSM in the description. This is frustrating, as is, it’s a bit dangerous, as it can fall through. It can however fit on the lower position, with a bit of fiddling. I guess I could fabricate some kind of extensions on the grate supports to solve? Just long bolts?
Some take the bolt out and add a washer or two between the flanges/ supports and the body.
I thought Chris had an article on that but couldn't find it.
Edit: found it.

Back