Grandma's Potato Salad

Chris P.

TVWBB Member
I made this to go with the pulled pork for our guests on Smoke Day and everybody loved it. It makes quite a bit, so it's good for those summer holiday gatherings.

5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
8 hard boiled eggs
6 - 8 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
16 oz. real mayo (don't use Miracle Whip)
1 - 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
2 - 3 teaspoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup sugar

Boil the potatoes until you can easily stick them with a fork, but be careful not to cook them until they're too mushy. Drain the potatoes, then transfer them to a bowl and cool them off in the refrigerator.

While the potatoes are cooling off, chop the celery, onion and eggs. I like mine chopped pretty finely.

When the potatoes are cool, cut them into small cubes. Again, you can use your own discretion, but I go with about 1/2" sized cubes.

Mix the mayo, vinegar, mustard, and sugar by hand, blending it slowly until it's smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust to your liking. If it's too tart, add more sugar; too pale, add more mustard; too sweet, add more vinegar. Go easy on the vinegar though. Too much can yield a somewhat runny consistency.

Once you've got the sauce to your liking, mix in the chopped onion, celery, and eggs, then fold that mixture into the cubed potatoes. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.

This is one of those sides that's better on the second day, so if it works for your schedule, make it the day before you plan on serving it. If you do this, the potatoes tend to absorb some of the sauce, so just mix in a couple tablespoons of mayo to moisten things up.

Enjoy!

Back