Gotta Say, I'm Impressed With My DigiQ DX

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Put 2 butts (11.1 & 10.45 lbs) on last night at 1935 hours, after setting up the electronics. Set blower damper at 1/2, and closed upper vent down to 1/4. Added 10 lit coals to my almost overflowing coal ring, blower fan switched on, and I watched the pit temp on the device slowly creep up. Meat started out at 39F, Pit Temp was 75F, and after 55 minutes, meat was up to 65F, and PT was at 250 F (at what I had set it to cook). My dome thermometer read and stayed at 225F, so I s'pose I can use that as a reference point in the future, if need be.

Went night-night at 2030 hours, and checked on the progress before turning in; MT was at 100F, PT still at 250F.

Woke up at 0530, figuring the meat would still be hovering at that mystic 165F, but Holy Smokes (yeah, Sunday pun intended), they were up to 188F & 190F! But I was more impressed with the fact that the lid thermometer STILL read 225F, after 10 hours.

Anyway, to make a long story short, right before heading for church, I pulled both butts off, wrapped 'em in foil, and stuck 'em in the cooler. Got back home, and at noon, 17 hours after I started, don't ya know the dome thermometer was STILL on 225F!

Two smartest purchases I've made in a long time were the WSM (to replace that piece of ka-ka ECB that I never COULD get up past 180F - it had no vents, just a smoke stack and sides so flimsy that I suspected they were fashioned from reclaimed aluminum siding)and the DigiQ DX. Don't know how I got along without them.

By the way, I'd embed a photo one of the cooked butts here if I could figure out how to do it - Chris' instructions are pretty clear for uploading to a web site, but is the URL to which he refers in the embedding procedure the actual path to the photo on MY computer?

Once again, thanks for all your suggestions.

Rooster

I have only used mine a handful of time but I am really impressed with my DX. I have yet to see a different temp than what I have set it to after it settles in after I open the lid. It works so good I kind of feel like I'm am cheating at BBQ now.

RL, I was frustrated on that inline photo to and someone graciously told me how to do it....

I use flickr but i think the process is the same. Go to the photo on the site...right click on it and under properties you will see an url address. Copy that and then hit the green button on this site "display image" paste the url address in and that should do it.

I have a digi Q also, can't imagine doing those long cooks without it!!

Cheerio

Dave

Hey guys.....looking for some friendly advice. I am an experienced pitmaster, but will soon be working with two brand new and unfamiliar pieces of equipment. I have on order a 22.5 WSM as well as a Digi-Q DX with a 10cfm fan and weber adaptor.
Several questions if you have time...

Where will I run in my probes to eliminate air leaks?
How much lit coals should I put into the charcoal chamber to start the minion method?
If I cook two butts as a trial run, should I use upper or lower rack?
How should I set my vents including upper and lower?
I typically buy 8 lb avg butts and like to cook at 225 chammber temp til I get the meat to 195 internal before pulling to foil. Given this process, about how many pounds of unlit charcoal will I need to start? I think I will probably be in the 10-12 hours cook time range if I am thinking correctly.
Thanks for ANY suggestions you can help me with!

Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:

How much lit coals should I put into the charcoal chamber to start the minion method?

I'll take a stab at these based on my Stoker experience:
1. You can run your probe wires through eyelets (like those from BBQ Guru, which I use), or under the lid. Either way, you are not going to create air leaks that will affect the operation of the WSM.
2. I normally cook two butts at a time (18.5 inch WSM) and use the top rack, just for convenience.
3. If you're going to be using a Guru or Stoker, the other two bottom vents should be totally closed. I leave the top vent fully open, but some people suggest shutting it down to about 50%.
4. Charcoal: I always start with a full load of lump, whether I'm cooking butts, ribs, or whatever. When I'm finished, I close all the vents, the fire goes out, and the left over lump is ready for use the next time. Trying to figure out how much charcoal to start with, based on what you're cooking, is (in my opinion) an unnecessary complication in the cooking process.

Good luck with your new "big" WSM.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Larry...all good advice I will follow. I saw on Guru's website the eyelets you mentioned. Once I get settled in with the new equipment, I may order them for ease of operation. I appreciate you getting back to offer all these good tips.
Noticing you are from Clemmons NC, my favorite professional BBQ cooking team is from Clemmons. The team is "Pickin' Porkers" and their last name is Wise. Great folks. They use a vertical upright system made by Stumps Smokers.
Thanks Larry

Originally posted by Larry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:

1. You can run your probe wires through eyelets (like those from BBQ Guru, which I use), or under the lid. Either way, you are not going to create air leaks that will affect the operation of the WSM.
2. I normally cook two butts at a time (18.5 inch WSM) and use the top rack, just for convenience.
3. If you're going to be using a Guru or Stoker, the other two bottom vents should be totally closed. I leave the top vent fully open, but some people suggest shutting it down to about 50%.
4. Charcoal: I always start with a full load of lump, whether I'm cooking butts, ribs, or whatever. When I'm finished, I close all the vents, the fire goes out, and the left over lump is ready for use the next time. Trying to figure out how much charcoal to start with, based on what you're cooking, is (in my opinion) an unnecessary complication in the cooking process.

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Larry said, except (1) I don't use lump because (a) I've never noticed an aftertaste with briquettes, (b) all of Chris A's outstanding recipes/how to's use briquettes, and I follow his advice to a tee, and (c) using lump, which burns hot & fast, seems to contradict the low & slow principle; and (2) go to Lowe's - if you have one nearby - and get the stainless steel plugs to close up the remaining holes down at the bottom - and, I cracked my top vent, as stated above, about a quarter open.

Good luck!

Regards,

Rooster

Originally posted by D Petrman:
RL, I was frustrated on that inline photo to and someone graciously told me how to do it....

I use flickr but i think the process is the same. Go to the photo on the site...right click on it and under properties you will see an url address. Copy that and then hit the green button on this site "display image" paste the url address in and that should do it.

I have a digi Q also, can't imagine doing those long cooks without it!!

Cheerio

Dave

Dave, thanks for the comeback - I just saw it!

Regards,

Rooster

All good advice and I thank you for it. Guru sells eyelets to run probes thru so wires dont have to run thru doors and onder lids. Does anybody know if probes from a Maverick ET-73 will fit thru one of these eyelets too?

Originally posted by Larry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry's said it for me. Pretty much the same as I do with my Digi II. Works great every time. I used the BBQ-Guru eyelets. They worked great. There are other solutions that work well two, some that are removable. If you do use the Guru eyelets, be aware that the SS Hex Cap screws they provide for installing/compressing the ferrule to make it stay in place can snap off during the removal process. This won't affect the installation at all, just won't have the screw to do the other eyelet. You can get extras at the local hardware store, just make sure they are SS so that they are hard enough to do the job. What happens when installing is that while compressing the eyelet with the screw you actually end up deforming the threads due to the pressure. On the way out the threads now cross thread in the nut on the other side and you can end up snapping the screw to get it out. Again, sounds worse than it is - but the only problem is you don't have an extra to install the second eyelet in the kit (they come in pairs. I actually used 4 eyelets in my WSM two for the Digi and two for the Maverick remote.

Well I got to agree with Larry on using the lump charcoal over the Kingsford. I used K for 4 years based off Chris A's methods and it is cheap and readily available everywhere. But after trying lump charcoal with an ATC, I will never go back to K. I am not even going to comtemplate the taste factor since that is too subjective. Instead the big reasons for me using lump now over the K are several:

--longer burn time....much longer. I would have to put more K in my ring for long briskets smokes. No more. The other weekend I went 20hrs, including the last 5 hours at 350* and still had plenty of lump left over.
--ash....wow much less ash. I don't need to clean out the bowl anymore after each smoke. It is nice to clean up one less thing for 2 out of 3 smokes.
--re-using the charcoal. I just leave the left over in the ring and reuse it. Again don't need to clean out the ring everytime. Never could resuse K since it would not light once grayed.
--all the chemicals. This may be subjective to some, but to me I rather not have borax and other chemicals being burned off.

Now the downside to lump is 2 fold IMO:
--controlling the temp is harder. But with an ATC there is no worry there.
--lump is more expensive. I am willing to pay more for convenience and less effort. (but I understand price is a factor to people)

So for me, there is no going back. But everyone has different needs and reasons. I am just grateful for my Stoker and lump, which has made smoking much easier and enjoyable for me so I can do it more.

Good luck,
Kg

Hey Keith - been a lump bigot for years. Find a feed mill that sells it in bulk/wholesale and buy 10 bags or more at a time and the price will drop.

Stay away from Cowboy!

Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
Keith...good post on this subject. What type of lump are you finding to be your favorite?

Morrey: I have only tried 2 types so far....Wicked Good (WGC) and Royal Oak (RO). I tried these 2 based off a really good lump charcoal review webpage I found (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag) and a recommendation from Rob on here about WGC. My observations on these 2:

--the WGC is simply awesome and has a great mild/moderate smoke smell. It is really dense and burns a very long time. It also has very little waste (dust and very small pieces) The only bad thing with WGC is purchasing it since you need to have it shipped if you are not local and it increases the price per bag. I purchased 3 22lb bags and the price came out right at $1.00/lb. Now you can order a pallet but 30 bags min and it did not work out for us because where I live they would only deliver the pallet to a commercial loading dock (no liftgate service)
--for RO, it is very good for the price. It is nowhere near as dense and won't burn as long. Also, I had a lot more unusable charcoal in the bag. But it is readily available at the local Walmart and is much cheaper. I figured it costs about $0.70/lb for RO. The smoke smell was ok (not bad), but I liked WGC better and WGC took less time for the coals to burn clean. (something else I have learned recently from Rob)

So for me, I think I am going to splurge and spend the extra $6 for 20lbs and have the WGC shipped right to my door, which will save me from dealing with all the people in Wally World, plus the extra $$ is not even that much when you think I am able to use more of the charcoal compared to RO.

Hope this helps.
Kg

Originally posted by r benash:
Hey Keith - been a lump bigot for years. Find a feed mill that sells it in bulk/wholesale and buy 10 bags or more at a time and the price will drop.

Stay away from Cowboy!

Hey Ray,

Thanks for the info. Read the review on Cowboy in the link I posted in previous reply.....so definitely will not be going that route.

I am interested to try other lump from these feed mills. I live by Annapolis, MD so not real far from you. Can you give me anymore info on these feed mills?

Thanks!
Kg

Keith,

I did a short cook this weekend (beer can chickens) and used some Cowboy lump I had sitting around. One thing that was bothersome about Cowboy was the high content of small pieces that fell thru the charcoal grate into the bottom. Of course this is nothing but pure waste and inconvenient to cleanup. One thing I did yesterday was to purchase a second charcoal grate. I will place the second grate on top of the original one and turn it 90 degrees so it forms a tighter pattern to prevent small lump chips from falling thru. My WSM is 22 inches so the standard 22 inch replacement charcoal grate for most Weber kettle grills was available at Lowes Home Improvement for about $10.
Given the available lump choices in my area (without ordering), Royal Oak seems to be highly rated. At a BBQ cookoff competition this weekend, I spoke with a top competitor who uses Royal Oak in his Stumps Vertical smoker. He stated he had tried them all and that Royal Oak was more consistent and burned evenly. He is more concerned than we are about chunk size since his smoker is gravity feeding lump thru a chute.
Appreciate the good response. Will try my next cook with a bag of Royal Oak. Good cooking!

I will point out that the 2 most successful teams in New England use Wicked Good. That would be iQue (Winner of the Jack 2009) and I Smell Smoke who placed 3rd overall for KCBS team of the year 2009. That's good enough reason for me!

It helps if you can find a nearby BBQ enthusiast who can split the pallet with you. I picked up a pallet last year when they still had a warehouse in NH. I think the nearest warehouse now is in MA.
Wicked Good Charcoal

-rob

Hey Morrey,

Good info. Like I said earlier, I liked the RO, especially for the money and availability. I was just a little disappointed in its density and % of wasted compared to WGC. I do a lot of long smokes and like the longer burn time.

Yes the 2nd perpendicular grate works well and will help you a lot. If you want to add handles to the grates it will really help dumping the grates and ring together. For more info on this if you have not seen how to do it, there is a thread with some pics that I asked where he got the square u bolts (Ace HW). Or I can take some pics.

Good luck,
Kg

Back