Got WOOD? Type of Wood for food!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Try this wood chart:

Apple: little tangy... good for chicken, pork and game

Cherry: kinda sweet.. a little fruity... good for poultry and DUCK

Hickory: The good ole barbeque wood. Great for everything. Nothing like your mustache smelling like hickory smoke the day after cooking.

Maple: Mild and a little sweet. Use with pork, poultry and even seafood.

Mesquite: Good flavor!! definitly use for beef or any Texas-style cooking.. i.e. brisket

Oak: good with all meats.. Everyone in FL swears by it. Oak trees are everywhere

Pecan: use like hickory, again depends on your whereabouts.

Pine: Use on sepearte kettle for everything you are cooking for your in-laws!!

Good luck guys.. Hope this helps you out.

In case anyone misses the joke, pine is a definite no-no. Additionally, cedar, cypress, elm, eucalyptus, liquid amber, redwood, fir, spruce, and sycamore are not suitable for smoking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by matt goin:
[qb]
Pine: Use on sepearte kettle for everything you are cooking for your in-laws!![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL To bad I get along with my inlaws better then I do my own Dad. I could use it for my future sister inlaw /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif now that would be about right!

Good list Matt. I do love oak, but prefer not to use it when cooking pork ribs. IMO it's a little too strong. I REALLY like the way it works with beef!

I noticed that alder wasn't mentioned at all yet!!! Of course, its the wood of choice for salmon and I have used it on beef and pork ribs with good results!! Any one else use it???

Unfortunately, I can't find alder in OK or I'd be burning some of it. I'd LOVE to try it sometime on some Cardog salmon, when I get desparate enough to order some. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif In the meantime, maple it is.

Keri C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back