Got the side burner on

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, as luck would have it I stumbled onto a side burner that I had gotten quite some time ago from Sam Bee. I have this habit of misplacing sh&* uhhh stuff and then stumbling into it. Luckily it was a NG side burner, but it had the fitting for the NG Genesis of which mine was originally an LP. So wouldn't ya know I found another side burner buried in my back garage I got from Lord knows where and it is an LP burner (but in terrible shape). However it had the correct hose and fitting. So a little unscrewing, and some pipe dope on the little 1/8" NPT fitting and voila! I have a side burner which I had been missing so badly since I had given my son in law my original Genesis 2/3 I feel "whole" again :D I have some cleanup to do but if you look closely you can see the flames

20210326_171140.jpg20210326_171127.jpg

If you say there are flames there, I will beleive you, but daytime pictures of LP flames just don't show up well in photos.

Glad you found your side burner and got it going. So, are you putting that on one of your grills?

You didn't recognize the grill it's on? It's the 2000 you turned me on to a few years ago. Now a 3000

Hello, I'm am looking into doing exactly this with a 1000 that I picked up. Found someone selling an LP side burner. Would you happen to have some instructions by chance? I know there's a plug on the manifold that I can run the tubing from but I was wondering if I would need any particular connections. Here's what the end of the tube coming from the side burner looks like. Should i just be replacing the tube altogether?

f02560d4-84dd-47f2-9e4b-087b78fbe912.jpg

IIRC the ones with the QC fitting were originally NG versions and and the ones with screw on (3/8" taper) fittings were NG. I had actually had one of each here and that is how they looked though I have never seen a QC fitting with an O ring like that. That IS weird.
On the larger grills especially the manifold came with the QC fitting in NG and the male portion of the 3/8" flare fitting that would have a cap on it. If it was a LP manifold. But the smaller grills typically did not come with the fitting on their manifolds because there was no frame extension to mount the side burner to

I have that same plug on the LPG external burner on a 2005 Silver C. It fits into a coupler at the bottom of the manifold. It may be a part that is unique to Weber, in which case I think your idea of replacing the tube hose is a great idea.

Attachments

• 20210403_222638.jpg
    20210403_222638.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 8
  • ExtBurnerPlug.jpg
    ExtBurnerPlug.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have never seen one with an O Ring like that. Not even the Weber OEM ones I have seen had that O Ring

Thanks for the responses folks.

Ed, yes the side burner is coming from an old Silver according to previous owner so that matches what you've said. I don't suppose you can see any of the writing on the coupler on the manifold? I'll replace the hose (lol thanks for the gentle correction) if needed just want to know what the options are. Like the option of easy off and on but I suppose I could just get a quick connect adapter for the hose I buy anyway (seems the shorter ones aren't generally equipped).

Anya, would the former owner have the coupler that is attached to the manifold?

The coupler is stamped "Hansen Series 700 ^ 1/2 PSIG MAX ^ FLOW ^ 10,943 BTU/HR NAT. GAS" (the carat indicates direction of flow)

Attachments

• 20210404_152418.jpg
    20210404_152418.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210404_152441.jpg
    20210404_152441.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 4
Thanks Ed! I'll ask when I finally get to pick it up tomorrow. The impression I got was that the rest of the grill was already gone and they had just taken a few bits to part out but i will certainly check.

Guys, you finally forced me to go out to my parts and check something. I have a couple spare side burners out there. Here is one from a Summit. Pretty much identical to photos above. And yes, same O-ring. I also have a Genesis 5000 side burner, but it looks like it was connected with a 3/8" female flare, probably directly to a 3/8" male flare on the manifold.
I also have a Genesis SS Platinum out back with a side burner. I think it has the same type of connection as shown below.

Summit Side burner connection.jpg

Well I'll be dipped in $hit and called an ice cream cone. Never ever came across a fitting like that. Even when I bought the side burner brand new for my Summit it did not have that O Ring

Thanks for the additional pics Bruce. The fellow didn't want to sell the coupler without the manifold and that's not what i was going for so will be checking on couples or changing out the hose entirely.

Anya: Unless you want the option to remove the side burner at times, I would just hard plumb it into your manifold with a 1/8" male NPT x3/8" male Flare. Then put a Female flare on the burner hose and hook them up. Really, it is still removable that way as you don't need to use pipe dope or tape on the flare connection. Otherwise, you could plumb in one of the more common style quick connects.

Back