Got mine just in time. ? on cooking chicken & ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've spent all week looking over this site in preparation for buying my WSM. Got it late this afternoon on July 3 and now ready to que. For the 4th I'm going to just do some butterfly chicken, but before the weekend is over I'd like to do both chicken and BRITU ribs. My question is. Do I put the ribs in before, after or same time I start the chicken, and also does it matter which rack they go on. I'm pretty sure I saw this already,but seeing as my computer is in a room that is already hovering around 95F, I don't want to spend to much time looking. I need to go get ready to cook and drink some homebrew. Nothing can be better than food that is all made by moi!

BTW - This site is among the best for any topic I've ever browsed. I look forward to many years of enjoyment of my WSM and many new friends who share my passions.

If you cook the chickens at the same low temp you're using for the ribs-- avg. 235*-- they'll take right about 4 hours. Use your thermometer to verify minimum 160 in the breast and 175 to 180 in the thigh.

The ribs will take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 more hours, depending on your preference for doneness. You don't want chicken juices dripping on your ribs, so put chicken on bottom rack.

If you put the ribs on first and then add the chickens later, you'll probably experience a temp drop in the cooker because of the cold chicken, so be prepared for that. The alternative is starting at the same time and holding the chicken until the ribs are done-- easily accomplished by wrapping in heavy foil, wrapping in towels and placing in an ice chest. They'll stay warm for a couple hours.

Some folks like to do chicken by brining overnight first and cooking at 325-350 with a dry water pan. Try it some time when you're doing just chicken-- it's good.

Dale,

I have done the chicken/rib combo several times now using beer can chickens on the bottom, BRITU on the top. I take em both off after 5 hours and have found the chicken to be moist and tender...even after freezing and reheating. Maybe cause the bottom rack is cooler, maybe the beer can steam...
When I have done baby backs longer than 5 hours, they fall off the bone and make a mess for eating.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back