Got 2 Butts Going

Rusty Painter

TVWBB Member
I have 2 butts on the smoker with 4 chunks of Guava wood. The WSM is holding steady at 248*. These should be ready by 11:00 tonight. My question is this. How long can I hold them wrapped in foil in the cooler? We're nt eating them until around 1:00 or 2:00 tomorrow with the Turkey. Should I go ahead and pull them tonight, and just reheat tomorrow, or can I safely leave them in the cooler until the morning and pull?

Rusty - 13 to 14 hours in a cooler is way too long. I'd pull it tonight and refrigerate it. You can reheat it tomorrow in the oven at 250*. I'd put it in a baking tin and spray it down with apple juice or some mop if you have any, then cover with foil and bake for an hour or so.

If you've still got it in you at 11 tonite, I recommend doing the pulling at that time and store the pulled pork in zip lock freezer bags in the frig. There are a number of ways to reheat from crockpot to microwave at a low setting to low temp oven. I always spray on some more AJ/vinegar mix to avoid drying out when I reheat.

Paul

I was going to try this method once cause of cook getting done early. Lining my cooler with towels on the bottom and on top. Then laying a heating pad over top of that on low. Leave my meat probe in so I could monitor the the temp. I havent tried it yet but maybe you could be a good test model. Happy Thanksgiving ALL. As for me I will be doing 2 butts friday and 2 butts saturday. Deer hunting all day thursday.

Rusty, Pulling tonight would be best. I have place in fridge and re-heated next day. As for re-heating, I place in pan with water in bottom and let the steam from the water help moisten the heating up process. Can cover or not, with the water it can be done either way. If in doubt, always cover!

Rusty please report the rub and or method you are using. I am looking for a good rub and plan on doing 2 butts Saturday.

Thanks
Mike

Back