Goose on the Rotisserie

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
The rotisserie has now cooked chickens, leg of lamb, duck, and chuck roast. I did a rib roast too, but can't find the pics.

Now it's goose. Had never cooked or even eaten goose before. Saw them in Kroger for about $40 at Thanksgiving. A few days later, $1 per pound at Wal-Mart. Walked out with a $10 goose and some windshield wiper blades.

Finally got a good weekend to cook. Pricked the skin all over to let fat run out. Hit it with lots of S&P and garlic powder. Put some cut oranges in the cavity to hold things steady.

Ready in about two hours at about 170 degrees, with coals on each side and a drip pan below. I added unlit coals at one hour and again after 30 minutes to keep the heat high in the cold weather. We got a late start, so I kept it cranked.

It tasted like duck, just bigger. Duck is easier and just as good or better. Goose was a fun experiment, but I'll probably go with duck in the future when in the mood for that kind of bird.

1329017252.jpg

1329017292.jpg

1329017322.jpg

1329017366.jpg

That is the first rotisseried goose that I have seen, and it looks great. There are millions of geese in Illinois, we are over run with them, but you can do jail time for even thinking about taking one for the grill.

George, do you find any German site that you prefer over others? If so, which might that be?

Thanks,
Rita

Chris;
It looks to me like you "cooked your goose"...
icon_biggrin.gif

I spent some time in Southern Germany - goose was very popular over there and was quite good in the local restaurants.

Dale53

Back