Good smoke tonight

We're going to be doing a friends and family smoke tonight. We're smoking a butt for a youth get together tomorrow, smoking 2 chickens for a friend, and doing a pork tenderloin for my parents. Any suggestions, specifically for the tenderloin, as to time and heat? I think we're good for the chickens and butts, but I would appreciate some help for the tloin.

I usually grill (after marinading) tenderloin as it is so lean. I like to cut them in half, open like a book, pound them thin marinade, and grill. Curious to see if anyone cooks it on the WSM.

I would grill the tenderloin. Throwing it on the smoker isn't a good idea considering how lean the piece of meat is.

The chickens need to be cooked at a higher temp. than the butts too. Maybe you can put the chickens on first, finish them off rather quickly, then cut the vents back to start your butt. Otherwise, you are going to have something cooking at 300-350 and something that needs to cook at 225-260.

Good luck!

Sorry, it's actually boneless pork loin that we'll be doing instead of tenderloin. Little bit of a difference there, as the loin seems to have a decent marbling. Not as much as a butt, but more than a tenderloin. I've also seen recipes for smoking chicken at 250, it just takes longer. Has anyone had experience with this; and what's the purpose of cutting a chicken in half as opposed to throwing it on there whole?

I would still start or finish the chicken at a higher temperature so you won't get nasty skin. At a low temp, it usually ends up like rubber.

Luke,

Spatchcocking, or cutting it in half tends to enable faster cooking times. I have always been a big fan of the beer butt chicken, but last weekend, I took spatchcocked a chicken, smashed the breast bone, then brined it for 6 hours, the smoked it over apple wood with a home made bbq sauce.it was probably better than any chicken I have made that I can remember.

Tim.
Yeah I would suggest you try it..
I see you are from Derby...I grew up in Milford..been to Derby many times. I miss CT..and the PIZZA.

Back