Good Ol' reliable WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don C.

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I didn't find an acceptable chuck roast so I just pulled a rack of ribs outta me freezer and rubbed them down with a tennesee rub reciepe I had (apologies to Bryan, I will get to the Head Country stuff soon).

The rub was black and white pepper, crushed red pepper, chili powder, salt, garlic and brown sugar. If any want this recipe let me know and I will post it in the recipe section tomorrow, don't have it with me right now.

I filled the ring half way with kingsford mixed with some hickory chips. I put 3 chunks of apple and 1 chunk of hickory on top of the 20 lit coals I started. (Half MM for 7 to 10 hr cook).

The cook was planned to start at 10am and go for 7 hrs. I got it started at 10:15 with the rack laying flat on the grate and bone side down. At 2pm I sprayed the spares with a mix of AJ and apple cider vinegar and flipped it.

At 5pm they were still not ready but very close and I figured another hour wouldn't hurt. Good thing too, cause the tennis match was awesome and the wife and I didn't want to miss it.

At 6pm the spares passed the tear test and I told the wife "Let's Eat". They were moist and delcious with just the right amount of "zing" to them. I had some honey garlic BBQ sauce on the side that really complimented the spares.

Though out the cook, the WSM maintained a steady 230-237 temp. I was a bit windy and I had 2 vents closed (windward side) and the 3rd(downwind?) at 25% open most of the time.

The ET 73 alerted me once with a low temp alarm and I whacked the legs of the WSM ala Doug(thanks Doug!) and this dislodged the ash and the temp came back up.

The wife and I almost finished the whole slab, there were only 4 ribs left over.

The WSM continues to amaze me with it's reliability and ease of use. My biggest surprise is how that even when you lift the lid to baste/turn/foil whatnot, the WSM just goes right back to temp.

Truly amazing.

Rath *gonna get that chuck roast, Must make tacos!*

Keep 'em commin' Rath! We been missin' ya
icon_cool.gif

Rath, Just let me know how you like the H C stuff. Glad to here the ribs were great and it's good to see you on here. We miss you.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back