Good Morning Crew....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Al

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello everyone I hope you all are well. Why am I posting? Well I have a question of course. Tonight I am FINALLY Qing up 2 shoulder blade roast. Makes me VERY happy for I feel that BBQ truly eases the mind and soothes the soul.
icon_smile.gif
Yeah finally a night off of work and time to blow-off some stress. Ok now 2 questions. The first is......What I am doing with my pulled pork is after its pulled, I am mixing it with a kicked-up BBQ sauce, and wrapping the pork in tortilla shells, basting with olive oil and they are gonna be in the oven for a bit. Now should I take a *low and slow* approach and bake the tortillas at around 2-250 for an hour or so? Or should I bake them at a higher temp for say 15-20 mins? I am thinking the latter of the two. My other question is....is there anyway that the BBQ sauce wrapped up in the shell will burn? I definitely don't want that.
Always open to comments/suggestions/ideas. Thanks.

Big Al

BA,

All this sort of depends.

What is your end product? Burritos, or some other kind of wrap thing, using soft tortillas, or tacos with hard shells?

If you're using taco shells (the crunchy kind), then I agree, you should probably just cook 'em up at a higher temp for less time. If you are using the soft kind, and don't want a crunch, then you'd want to steam 'em to heat them and keep them soft (I usually just wrap them in a very slightly moistened paper towel and nuke 'em).

As for the sauce burning -- just heat everything separately and put them together hot. If your butt is fresh off the WSM, you have no worries, and if you are reheating it, just nuke it with a little apple juice or vinegar (I've heard people use both on this forum) or even with your BBQ sauce.

Unless you are microwave-free, in which case I defer to people who actually know how to cook.
icon_wink.gif

Big Al,

If you are basting with olive oil, I assume you are going for a "baked" chimichanga sort of thing.

If my assumption is correct, use the higher heat and cook until browned. The sauce inside should not burn even if you crank the oven up to 400*. They are going to start browning before the internal temp gets up to high.

I would, as Art mentioned, have everything going inside warm (as hot as you can stand handling everything) before assembling your "chimi(s)".

And if I'm not going too far... Once they have browned as much as you want them. Pull them out, ladle on some of your sauce, throw some shreded cheese on that, and put them back in the oven (just a few minutes) until the cheese starts to melt.

The sauce won't burn either way. You can use the lower temp for the longer time if you wish but cover the pan with foil so that they don't dry out-- baste or spray lightly with olive oil. Or you can do the higher temp for a shorter time.
If you wish, and your grill is hot, you can finish your wraps on the grill. Wrap well so that they filling doesn't come out, spray lightly with oil, and grill, turning often til lightly browned in several places. The outer side of the tortilla will crisp a bit and take on some grill flavor but the inside will be soft.

I did something similar to that last week.

Took lightly microwaved (just to soften 'em up) corn tortillas, put warmed pulled pork, refried black beans, cheddar cheese, a little salsa, a little Trappey's sauce (kinda like Tabasco), rolled 'em up and put 'em in a frying pan with a little oil til the outside browned and crisped up. Not too bad.

Needed a little sour cream or guacamole to top 'em with, but didn't have any on hand. Maybe next time.

Your method should be good too, Al. Let us know how they turn out.

MMMMMMMMMM Looking good fellas!!!! They have been on for about 2 1/2 hours now, and they are just starting to get a nice brown bark...YUMMY!!!!!!

Big Al

I second that motion Bill. Since we didn't get any samples via smell-o-vision...pics will have to do
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
.......I'm hungry and have 1 more hour of work
icon_smile.gif
yeahhhhhhh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Hays:
What? You're lookin' and there's no pics???
icon_razz.gif

Good Luck Al
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL Well yeah buddy, how else am I supposed to *baste* my butts with my *secret* baste. (a lil' bit of Jack Daniels and apple juice in a spray bottle lol) Without lookin' hmm??

Big Al

Awww I am sorry guys
icon_frown.gif
No way to currently provide pics
icon_frown.gif
But a report nonetheless.
The shoulders turned out good, as usual. When I made the wraps with them they were not too bad. Some of them I mixed with my sauce, which I think I am gonna post on the recipe's board. And a few others I put some special cheese and melted in the oven. Not bad. I think I am gonna stick with pulled pork sandwiches from now on though.

Big Al

Hey Chris it's ok buddy no worries. They actually weren't too bad today, the morning after cold as a matter of fact.

Big Al

Hmmmm, Jack Daniels and apple juice. Does the end product really have a hint of that ol' Tennessee whiskey? That sounds kinda good ... but then again, its all good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back