Going to try something quite different

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, I have a nice prime ribeye on deck for our supper. One thing that intrigued me was people reporting more smoke on the Weber grills, both SearWood and SmokeFire and attributing it to having a more "open" access to the burn pot. So, got me to thinking (here I go getting dangerous again), what if I took out the main grease deflector on Big Z and left in only the flame deflector (similar to what you see over the fire pot of the SearWood), then simply cook my steak at high heat on the top rack but over a small 1/2 sheet pan to keep the oven chamber free of grease.
So right now running it simply on "super smoke" and testing stability. So far it's running perfectly. Once wife tells me she's dropped grandson off from soccer, I'll crank it up to 450 and let it rip.
The only "downside" I can see to this is maybe a bit more ash flying around. Stay tuned. It has not gone on yet. I'll try to get photos and report back. I can't pull this off on the MM as the grease tray doubles as the flame deflector so I don't think it will work properly at all without some type of flame distribution

OK we've reached "high speed" I pulled the meat at 90 from a good smoke setting, it's resting under foil and will be going back in a minute. Let's see what transpires here!

Sounds like a good plan / strategy. Does your Wolf have a grill? (Blackstone). I tell you, smoke your steak at low temp to 100ish and then sear it on both sides afterwards. You’ll love it

Sounds like a good plan / strategy. Does your Wolf have a grill? (Blackstone). I tell you, smoke your steak at low temp to 100ish and then sear it on both sides afterwards. You’ll love it
No, no griddle for it. But, FWIW, the steak was incredible. Here is a time frame of the cook in photos (sort of a mini synapsis) Only issue is in this the screen shots came out in a different order than the photos. Honestly this steak was as good as ANY I've ever prepared or even eaten out. Staying true to my "formula" or my "rules" for good meat in all it needs is heat, smoke, salt and pepper.

20240626_191615.jpg20240626_192019.jpg20240626_192036.jpg20240626_192041.jpg20240626_192429.jpgScreenshot_20240626_191522_CHEF iQ.jpgScreenshot_20240626_191640_CHEF iQ.jpgScreenshot_20240626_191726_CHEF iQ.jpgScreenshot_20240626_191808_CHEF iQ.jpgScreenshot_20240626_191943_CHEF iQ.jpg

No, no griddle for it. But, FWIW, the steak was incredible. Here is a time frame of the cook in photos (sort of a mini synapsis) Only issue is in this the screen shots came out in a different order than the photos. Honestly this steak was as good as ANY I've ever prepared or even eaten out. Staying true to my "formula" or my "rules" for good meat in all it needs is heat, smoke, salt and pepper.

View attachment 94356View attachment 94357View attachment 94358View attachment 94359View attachment 94360View attachment 94361View attachment 94362View attachment 94363View attachment 94364View attachment 94365
Looks delicious!!👌🏼

Oh man it was. Even with my reduced appetite (from being on Mounjaro a year now and having dropped about 60lbs) it was all I could do to not eat the entire steak. As it was I ate half of it and usually I would only consume about 1/3rd. LOL So that, some braised broccoli and a vintage sparkling water of my own making :D Yeah, I enjoyed it!
I think I've found a way to tun that Big Z into an absolute steak machine. I was so impressed on that I think I am going to look for a flame diffuser that will fit on the MM when it has no grease deflector. So, I can do something like this on the smaller grill when I want to. But, I think I'm going to try and get my own eyeballs on a SearWood and make some drawings, up close photos and measurements and see if I can't plagiarize some of that design tech into my own grills.

Oh man it was. Even with my reduced appetite (from being on Mounjaro a year now and having dropped about 60lbs) it was all I could do to not eat the entire steak. As it was I ate half of it and usually I would only consume about 1/3rd. LOL So that, some braised broccoli and a vintage sparkling water of my own making :D Yeah, I enjoyed it!
I think I've found a way to tun that Big Z into an absolute steak machine. I was so impressed on that I think I am going to look for a flame diffuser that will fit on the MM when it has no grease deflector. So, I can do something like this on the smaller grill when I want to. But, I think I'm going to try and get my own eyeballs on a SearWood and make some drawings, up close photos and measurements and see if I can't plagiarize some of that design tech into my own grills.

I can only imagine how good it was. Best steaks I've ever had I've made on my gas grills. This looks next level!

Back