Going to the next level

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
I've done several short term cooks, 4-10 hrs. Ribs, turkeys, salmon, and beer can chicken. All turn out great, especially the ribs which I have been addicted to. I am ready for the next level. I've read about these over nighters. Where should I start? Pork butt, or beef brisket? I would like to start with a small size. any advise an what cut to start with, and prep methods? I got all week to plan it.
Thanx in advance!

gary is right. do pork butt. but don't worry about doing a small size. Get a full butt - 6-8 pounds. they are nearly impossible to mess up. you will be happy with it!

Butts are definately an easier not to mention tasty choice. If you would get a wild hair you could get a brisket and put on the grate below the butt. I have done brisket by itself but have not been satisfied with the results. So I only do butt over brisket anymore.

I don't know how many are in your family but getting one on the small side or cut in half may leave you wanting more. There are 5 in my group and after a normal 8LBS butt cooks we have enough leftovers for me to have a couple of sandwiches the next day. That is about it. Those puppies really shrink up.

I have used quite a few rubs on my butts. I haven't yet ordered any from the web that a lot of people here like. My favorite on the butt is made by durkee and is call six pepper blend. It is really good and quite spicy.

If you go for the normal size butt. Your cook time will be 15-18 hours. You will want to start checking your fuel around 10 hours or before. More than likely you won't have enough to get you to the end. I add a hand full of unlit starting about 9 hours and doing it again every 45-60 minutes. I have read that adding too much unlit will bring the temps down. That is the reason for one handful at a time.

Hit the COOKING tab above, and take a look at both the Mustard Slathered Butt and also the "Renowned Mr. Brown." Those are both great recipes, and Chris's excellent step-by-step cooking diaries are outstanding textbooks. I've been cooking briskets for years, but I had never tasted pulled pork until about four years ago - the first one that I cooked one on the WSM - with a color printout from TVWB on the table next to me!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time (and occasionally cooking as Hot Wire BBQ)

keri - you never even TASTED pork butt until 4 years ago? holy cow (or holy pig). so surprising from a q guru like yourself. Someday (SOMEday) I will cook brisket like you. It's currently the weak link in my bbq chain. Still better than I get in 99% of Q joints, but not what I want.

I need to channel your brisket expertise next time I do it...

Thanks for your replies,
Well I'm just cooking for my self, so (size doesn't matter). What do you all suggest for a 1st try? bone in, or out? Picnic, shoulder, or another type? Low & slow, or higher temps? Oh yeh, What about prep, rub , & wood type. Do ya brine? The long week end is getting close. Can ya help me?

Just my opinion ,keep it simple. Bone in pork butt using Chris's mustard slather recipe from this site is a good start. Cover with rub , slow cook 225 - 240 at the grate. Inject the butt if you want to. I 've tried brining and it's good but you have to keep the brining liquid temps under 40 degrees which is hard this time of the year. I like to use oak and hickory wood but cherry ,pecan or maple are good also. Butts can take a lot of smoke so don't worry.Keep a log of your times for reference. Most of all have fun.You'll learn from your mistakes and as someone has said before you get to eat your errors. Nothing I like better than doing an over nighter, getting up early in the morning,having a cup of coffee and a cigar,watching the WSM cook away. It's great!!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmfast:
Thanks for your replies,
Well I'm just cooking for my self, so (size doesn't matter). What do you all suggest for a 1st try? bone in, or out? Picnic, shoulder, or another type? Low & slow, or higher temps? Oh yeh, What about prep, rub , & wood type. Do ya brine? The long week end is getting close. Can ya help me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Nothing I like better than doing an over nighter, getting up early in the morning,having a cup of coffee and a cigar,watching the WSM cook away. It's great!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the smell of hickory smoke in the morning!!!

One butt is probably plenty for one person, but after my first cook I vowed I would never cook only one butt again. If you are going to fire it up and tend it for that many hours, you may as well cook two. It freezes well and there is never a shortage of people willing to take some off of your hands!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had never tasted pulled pork until about four years ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Adam, I guess I should qualify that just a little bit... I know I tasted "real" barbecued pork when I was in my pre-teen years, because I remember helping my SC low-country great-grand-father tending the fire while doing whole hogs for a family reunion. I don't remember the meals themselves, though - only the preparation part. Therefore, I KNOW I must have actually tasted it back then as well, but have no recollection of it.

Around there parts (OK and TX) it was VERY rare to ever see pulled pork in a restaurant of any kind, BBQ joint or otherwise, until very recently, and it's still not very common. This hyah's beef country, and BBQ here means BRISKET. chicken, and sausage. Lots of folks around here just haven't been exposed to pulled pork. I've taken it upon myself to help solve that problem.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Still better than I get in 99% of Q joints, but not what I want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Said like a true barbecue snob!
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

All Publix carry butt. Tell the meat guy you want a large bone-in. What they display is usually butt that's been cut in half or thirds.

Picnic is fine but there's more waste.

Thanks K Krugger,
Your right, I went to WD, the meat guy came out with a 6.7 lb boston butt. Now I cant wait to start. How long do you think I should cook it for?

Till it's done, t, till it's done.
icon_smile.gif

I pull ~190 and rest, double-wrapped in HD foil, in a cooler stuffed with towels for a couple or three hours. Some people like a bit lower on the finish temp, some 195, some 200. Pick one, pull at that point, wrap and rest; on a future cook you can target a different internal and see how that finish compares.

Have fun with it.

Good to see you there Kevin,
This is my 1st butt, Just trying to get an idea on when to start. I see several different times. Looking to finish by early afternoon tomorro. What do you think? Should I start tonight?

Yes.

If you are looking to eat in the early after noon then you might want to have the butt in by 6 or 7 this evening; if you're looking to have the butt finish in the early afternoon to then rest and be pulled and eaten later then you might want to have the butt in by ~10.

Your the man Kevin,
I guessing about a 15-18hr cook time, then some setteling time. I am in no rush. Just want to learn. Thanks for your help.

Back