Gluten Free Grilling

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
Hello fellow bbqers,

My wife and several members of her side of the family have a condition known as celiac disease. In short the body can not tolerate gluten, when exposed to it she gets really sick for a few days. Although it is not technically an allergy, in terms of food preparation and dose/response it is easiest to think of it as one. Gluten is found in wheat, rye, barley and unpurified oats, so bbqing is a great way to make foods that don't require breads, pastas, etc. and we have visibility on all of the ingredients. We have done things like substituted the breads for corn tortillas on a lot of recipes (there are gluten free buns out there too but they can be heavy...plus a pulled pork or brisket sandwich in taco form is really good!) and found some good gluten free beers and hard ciders to enjoy with it (Recommend Woodchuck ciders from VT!). I am curious if others have done some gluten free cooking and have some innovative ideas I can steal and pass off as my own with my wife ;).

-Jeff

I have A good friend whose wife and kid are celiac's. They are so bad that can't eat off my grill because of cross contamination, they have to use there own pots, pans, and utensils. It is super tough. I don't even try anymore they bring there own stuff.

You have to be very careful as even putting peanut butter on bread and double dipping the knife contaminants the whole jar.

So tough. But here is your excuse to get a new gluten free weber!

Thanks! We actually keep ours totally GF for the same reason...we use foil packs if at a friend or relatives BBQ...

It's all good!

OT: I don't know about GF grilling, but I do know hard cider! My favorite commercial cider so far is Woodchuck's 'Amber' flavor. I have 20 gallons of hard cider fermenting in the basement right now... two 5-gallon batches of Apfelwein, one 5-gallon batch of just plain hard cider (local orchard), another 5g batch of Graff (amber hard cider, I hope), plus two 5-gallon batches of 'I Eat Danger For Breakfast' Stout (this one's definitely not kosher - er I mean gluten free).

Hi Jeff,

Your post about gluten-free grilling caught my attention, as my wife also has celiac. Fortunately, I haven't run into any problems keeping my grills GF, mainly because I'm very territorial about my grills and nobody touches them but me. Obviously, stuff like steaks and grilled vegetables are no problem to keep GF as long as I have total control of ingredients like marinades and rubs. When it comes to burgers, I have to say that the quality of GF breads is light years better than it was ten years ago, so now my wife can enjoy a burger just as much as I do on regular rolls.

Jerome,
Sounds like you and I have a pretty similar approach. I don't let anything on my grill that I don't know every ingredient of. Tin foil can usually be employed on other grills if needed.

I agree that the bread has gotten much better in the last few years. I use to make some garlic butter and grill it into the bread to get it to taste better, but now there are some decent brands out there. We like Mexican food, so corn tortillas are always an option. Udi's also has recently come out with some good wraps that work well for steak sandwiches, etc...

The silver lining of all of it is it forces me to be very aware of what I am cooking and to make more from scratch.

Let me know if you pick up any more products, tricks, etc!

-Jeff

We dont have anyone in our family who is specifically intollerant of gluten but we have adopted a nearly grain free style of eating. I have found that I use the grill more than I ever have for the meats and the veggies. We have eaten vegetables we havent eaten in years or in my wife's case, some she has never considered eating. Her new favorite is asparagus on the grill and she even likes when I cook brussel sprouts. We generally dont eat any gluten free breads or anything like that. I have found that I am better off just staying completely away from grain resembling products.

Sorry I dont have any specific help. Just trying to add positive thoughts. I am sure it can be pretty difficult to have to be so careful. The good side is it is a very healthy way to eat.

Thanks Daryl! My wife LOVES the grilled vegetables, and it gets me eating some more too. I find grilling pretty easy to stay gluten free as most of the sides are potato-based anyway....thanks for the positive thoughts!

Back