Glazing the ham...

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I've got a 7 pound, spiral sliced ham for tomorrow. I want to do a glaze on it. I read Chris' method - using a torch to melt the sugar/glaze mixture on the ham. I don't have a torch, and probably don't have the patience either.

Do any of you apply a glaze during the smoke? I'm thinking 2-3 hours into the smoke, brushing the ham with a maple syrup concoction, then turning the smoker up to the 300-350 range until it gets to about 130. Would that work?

What would you recommend for a glaze?

Any other ideas?

Glazes, imo, should be applied thinly. You can build up coats if you wish, but less is often more, as it were. Do not apply too early as they will easily burn. Let the heat from the meat's surface set the glaze. We're not talking much time here. Minutes.

Maple is a good idea with your ham. Dijon mustard is a nice emulsifying agent between it and whatever else. A fruit preserve, jam, jelly or such is nice for sweetness and fruit as well. Personally, I like a little herb (like a touch of thyme) and a little spice (coriander, white pepper, a hint of cinnamon perhaps).

I think glazes should be like a kiss. Sweet, a little spicy--but fleeting.

Have a wonderful dinner.

Back