Glazes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hartnell

TVWBB Member
Greetings-

It seems that if you go to these bar and grill type restaurants they tend to serve baby back ribs with some sort of glaze on them which tastes pretty good. I was wondering how a glaze would work in relation to smoked ribs on the WSM? Would it even work using low and slow on the WSM or is it added at the end? Also would the sauce used in the BRITU recipe be considered a glaze because of the addition of honey?

Thanks!

I've never gone the BRITU route but I wouldn't consider the mere additon of honey to be definition of a a glaze. To me, a glaze is combination of ingredients and spices in a liquid that has been thickened considerably by slowly simmering to remove excess moisture. The glaze is applied to the meat shotly before serving to 'set' it.

Since human nature loves sweets, chances are the glazes you get at restaurants contain a lot of honey, corn syrup, or other sweetener.

The glaze or finishing sauce I use on my ribs is a reduction of my favorite sauce, the rub, and other secret ingredients and I apply it during the last 30 minutes or so of cooking.

A glaze is simply the addition of a sauce at the end of the cook. The sweet can from honey, or a high sugar content in the sauce. Put it on and pull before it burns.
Jim

At a cookoff last year, I tasted a sample of my neighbor's pork butt. The "bark" had a glaze, slightly sweet and very sticky, almost candy texture.

As it is not proper etiquite to ask a fellow competitor his secrets, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a finishing glaze for pork that ends up sticky (not sickenly sweet)

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back