Giving the Dog a Bone

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

OK, so I smoked a rack of baby back's last night for the neighborhood poker game. The ribs came out great, and now I have a large pile of bones sitting in my kitchen that my Lab has been eyeing all afternoon. He's not gonna speak to me until I let him have a few, but I've hered some smaller bones can be bad for him. Anyone know a place where I can find out what bones are OK vs. which are not. Does it matter if they are cooked?

we feed rib bones to our ?? Lab/Boxer/high jumper/who knows on a regular basis. She has not had any problems yet.

Hrm... looks like the cooked and eaten variety are the worst kind. That's bad news for Duke. Maybe I'll go get him a beef rib to get back into his good graces. Then again he only has about 10 min worth of memory, so perhaps he'll forget he's mad at me
icon_smile.gif

It seems several posts have come in since I started writing this one.

Please check with your vet first!

Cooked bones have been often known to splinter. Personally, I'd never give Weber, our Golden, a cooked bone (or any real bone).

Others have had no problem with that. But do check with your vet.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Personally, I'd never give Weber, our Golden, a cooked bone (or any real bone). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita Y,

Gotta be a story here. How did you happen to name the dog Weber?

Ray

I give our dogs rib bones all the time (a Jack Russ and a terrier/pointer mix). As long as the bones are too big to swallow, they do just fine with them. I've noticed that the meatier the bones, the slower they seem to chew them up (savoring them I guess?)
I don't dare try poultry with them though from how bad I hear they can be.

Ray, actually we didn't name him Weber ourselves, but we really lucked out. Here's the story:

http://gpsinformation.us/rita/Weber.html

(The site has been going off and on a bit today, so keep trying.)

Canine Assistants is the group that I do my big cooks for. Volunteers provide all lunches and dinners for Training Camp. They hold a 2-week camp, all expenses paid, for the recipients of each group of trained dogs to match a dog with its new owner and to train the recipients on how to handle them - can you believe that these dogs learn 95 commands? Open/close doors and drawers, turn light switches on/off, etc. It is totally amazing.

Rita

Wow Rita - what a wonderful story. It brightened my morning! I did not know such a group existed. I am glad they have you to help with the catering.

BTW I love the flowers on your deck!

Happy 4th of July to you.

Ray

STOP!!! i have 4 labs, the dogs can chew threw anything you put in front of them. they WILL splinter them bones. i can buy any dog toy made and it will last 2 days max. the only toy that has lasted are the Kong rubber toys. labs love to chew and are very aggresive when at it. beef ribs have lasted but never pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Ray, actually we didn't name him Weber ourselves, but we really lucked out. Here's the story:

http://gpsinformation.us/rita/Weber.html
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Rita- that is one beautiful dog. And a very worthy organization. My hat's off to ya.
Happy 4th

Jim

Thanks Ray and Jim. Weber really is a joy and a glutton for affection. We're thinking of hiring a "pet petter" if he doesn't get enough from us.
icon_wink.gif

Frankly, tho, I think the benefit of cooking some of the CA meals is mostly on my end.....I get to have an excuse to play with my WSM! It doesn't get much better than that, now does it?

Just for a lark, I contacted Weber-Stephens about our Weber. But when it came down to the idea of filming....well, let's say I'm a little shy with that type of thing. But I did give Mr. Fleischel information about this Forum and he posted a request for customer testimonials for the Weber website about their Summit and Genesis lines of gas grills:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6440039023/m/...160084003#2160084003

I don't know if anyone responded, but maybe someone will now do so.

P.S. Ray, those flowers are New Guinea Impatiens (Costco). They love that spot.

Rita

I have a bouvier des flandres koda
and many breeders recommend raw chicken wings as their regular food. The chicken bones only splinter if they are cooked. I have never had the nerve to try him on them.

Mike

I gave our dog one rib bone to chew on for 5 minutes. The next day when I got from work the house was filled with loose stool, and vomit. Needless to say she won't be getting any more ribs from me!
icon_wink.gif

I have a Husky purebred and a Husky mix. They are probably just a bit smaller than a lab (poofy hair makes them look a lot bigger than they really are). I've been giving the older one rib bones for 5 years and never had problem. Poultry is another matter, the slightes bit makes her sick as a dog so to speak, so I haven't even attempted to give the daughter poultry, and I wouldn't give them poultry bones anyway. I give them rib (pork and beef) and pork shoulder bones. Had to stop giving them the fat though, cause they started getting overweight.

Also, I bought some of those huge beef bones at the store. They've been working on those for 3 weeks, while they can eat a shoulder bone in 2 days.

Back