Giggity Ribs for tailgating

Mike_Coffey

Probably something folks have tried before, but I did this down at the Indy 500 camp-out this year and got rave reviews.

Soak the baby-backs in ginger ale and put in an oven at 350 for 4 hours. Remove from the oven and ale and put them on a direct-medium grill for eight minutes a side, coating the up-side with BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's).

If you're going to use them tailgating (which I did), bake for only 3.5 hours and coat them with BBQ before putting them in gallon zip-locs in the fridge for at least 12 hours to let them firm up. Then put the zip-locs in the cooler for your destination. Grill as shown above, still applying the BBQ sauce to the upside.

Not just any Ginger ale Vernors dude the stuf that was made in Detroit for yrs ! The only reaL ginger ale made even now its stil good
wsmsmile8gm.gif

how is the texture on these ribs cooked this way? Is it fall of the bone or does it still have some bite to it?

The tailgating version still has a bit of bite -- the fridge time helps them firm up. I haven't tried the direct-to-grill method yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
Not just any Ginger ale Vernors dude the stuf that was made in Detroit for yrs ! The only reaL ginger ale made even now its stil good
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went with Seagrams, didn't get any complaints.

Try some vernors next time they really do age it oak kegs we use to be able to get them here for charity auction and things befor they moved out of Detroit . Had one here in the house for a while whole house smelled like ginger . Its NOT quit as strong now days but still very good IMHO none other comes even close ymmv

Its a Detroit legend like Strohs ice cream and Saunders birthday cake
icon_smile.gif

I got recipe book here from the fiftys using Vernors and ribs is in it we use it now then very tasty
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Mike, at 350 degrees for 4 hours, does that ginger ale come to a boil, or is it more like it is simmering? The idea sounds worthy of a try, so I will have to round up some Canada Dry.

Back