getting rid off gas grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antti P

TVWBB Member
Ciao all,

I have currently Q300, Master Touch 22", WSM 18" and I'm planning to ditch the Q300 to my Mom who needs proper gasser.

Plan was to buy Genesis to replace the Q300, which is, by the way excellent gasser (yes I'm talking about the Q300).

Now drinking excellent white wine in midsummer heat I got idea off going all briquette!

I was considering off getting briquette machine to replace the Q300 - what's your take on this? Does it make any sense? If you think it does make sense, what would you recommend from Weber product line?

... I was thinking off gas assisted performer....

Thanks for your input!!

The Performer is a nice unit...just picked up one myself. That being said, I still have an old Spirit gasser as a standby. A quick afternoon lunch, something small for dinner...the gasser heats up quick and I'm done in 15 minutes. It's also usually my go-to grill for the weekdays. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the Performer on the weekends (some weekdays, don't get me wrong) with a nice beer while it's heating up and while I'm grilling.

Jack,

thanks for reply - the gasser is convenient in many ways, but I'll try to make that up using lump when in hurry to make something really fast, like sausages.

Now checking the price levels here in Finland, gas assisted Performer is about 490€ and 22" Master Touch is 265€... Taking some time to do the math here, but I would say that the Performer is quite expensive - as the grill itself is pretty much the same as MT, without the table, briquette box and gas starter.

With the 490-265€ = 225€ I can buy lots of accessories needed - like rotisserie etc...

To finalize this math, I'm on parental leave this whole summer (9 weeks) and that gives me quite limited budget...

The Performer is a pretty big step up in price from a OTG, which I am assuming is like the Master Touch. The Performer is my go to grill, I love it. I got my for free, but if I had to pick one Weber to buy it would probably be the Performer. Nice table, good storage, gas assist start, charcoal bins, hinged grate, etc...

Antti,
A charcoal grill & a gas grill are complementary .
You have a good charcoal grill , consider buying a gasse.

I have a genesis and a performer. I love both of them. The genesis is good for quick grills and also long ones like doing a pork loin. Once I get the temp set it will stay there till it runs out of gas. The performer if Great when I want steaks or want to enjoy a nice beer while inhaling the smell of charcoal.
Bottom line is I am glade I have both.....for my favorite if I could only have one - the Performer.

Mike

I too have a performer & a an old genesis. I use both & feel they compliment on another. For me the gas assist on the performer is a minor improvement. When I need to replace it I will be buying a regular kettle without the gas assist.

Glenn

Well, my gasser isn't a Weber but I still use it even after getting my Performer. I really like having both, especially since my gasser has a rotisserie.

If I had to start all over, I would buy a performer first (Started on a OTS, and then a WSM). I cook on mine almost every time I cook at home, 4-5 days per week. While the gas assist doesn’t seem like that great of a feature, it allows me to walk outside, dump charcoal in a chimney, click a button, and walk back in to do prep work. A few minutes later I walk by and kill the gas ignition (once the bottom coals are lit, I do this to save gas) and go back inside to finish whatever prep I have left. 5-10 minutes (depending on how much I am cooking with) later I walk back out, dump the charcoal and I am ready to go.

I normally have more than 15 minutes heads up on cooking, so cooking on the performer is just as easy as gas for me. The side table is a wonderful help as well.

If your plan was to buy a genesis to replace the q300, what does a genesis cost over there?

Genesis costs 1300EUR, which is 1867USD. That's the copper version with side burner.

I'm currently pursuing a plan to buy another OTG (Master Touch) 22.5", with rotisserie and premium cover. Also, I have ordered today the 4-piece cast iron crate (found a re-seller from Germany who delivers to Finland).

Genesis was my long term plan, that one day in the year of the fox when Q300 gives in, I would replace it with Gen.

Now me being on parental leave (leave without pay) I have all the time to do BBQ, but no money to invest on new gadgets. However, window of opportunity revealed itself when my Mom asked me to get her a good gasser. So I decided to sell the Q300+composite 10kg gas bottle to her and use the incoming $$$ to by something new to my BBQ "pit".

Idea of going all briquette was born as I'm currently using 95% of the time my OTG and when doing bigger cook I extend the crate capacity to Q300. All in all, briquette grilling is my passion currently, so let's do that then
icon_smile.gif

I tried today how short&simple cook goes with OTG. I had sausages for the wife and I + some salad. Usually this is the type of stuff I do with the gasser. I filled the chimney with local lump and it was ready in less than 10 minutes and gave another 5 to 10 minutes for the grill to warm up and I was ready to go.

Simple enough for me.

If any comments, please don't hesitate to reply. There is still time to turn the table around - I'm going to the local Weber seller tomorrow morning
icon_smile.gif
(12 hours from now).

p.s.
Sorry for typos and bad grammar.

I bought my genesis first then about a year later discovered how much better cooking with coal is when we went on a trip and used a Smokey joe for 4 days. After returning home I continued to grill with the smokey joe until I came across a clearance performer at fry's for $199. I have not looked back since. Sure I use the genesis every now and then, but honestly, I would not miss it.

... just in the sake of closure - I bought Smokey Joe Gold, dark grey color as secondary grill.

I'll love it!!! It is nasty little machine and perfect for dog's or anything similar small&fast.

This also gives me room to maneuverer towards Genesis some day, if needed.

Thanks all for your input!

I have a Summit S-670, a Performer and a 22.5" OTS.

I owned the Summit S-670 prior to owning the charcoal kettles, and I simply can't see myself cooking cooking on the Summit regularly anymore.

I had a big cook-out today for the family, friends and extended family and I used my Performer, OTS and my 18.5" WSM.

I actually used my S-670 as a warming rack after the food had finished cooking off the charcoal kettles. I simply turned on the far burner to a low setting, and stacked the food inside the grill when done to keep it warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back