German Smoked Pork Chops

Matt Warren

Hi,

Anyone have any info on German smoking techniques?

I had the best pork chop of my life recently at a German restaurant.

It had a wonderful smokey taste. But there was more to it than smoke. It had an almost-ready-to-turn-rotten funk that was actually very good. I don't know if it was a combination of salt and spice or in the meat. I generally like beef that's been aggressively aged, but I don't think pork holds up to that, does it?

What kinds of woods and spices are used in German smoking?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, I love German food too. While I don't have the answer to your question, I did run across this list of German Recipes a couple of weeks ago.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Matt--

German food isn't known for its spicing; not that it's devoid of spices, just that not many are used. In my grandmother's kitchen the spices most commonly used were paprika, marjoram, parsley, coriander, savory, and sage. As Al mentions, caraway too, but rarely for meats. For sausages, the above plus cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.

The flavor you describe reminds me of two things, either or neither of which might be the case. If the restaurant bought pork from pigs raised the 'old' way, that could account for the flavor. Pigs raised as such have intense marbling and are much more flavorful. And, sometimes a splash of the liquid from a batch of homemade sauerkraut is added to the pork while it cooks. There may or may not be caraway in the kraut, but it does have a fermented flavor which further intensifies as it reduces. Just a thought.

Btw, my grandfather used applewood exclusively when smoking.

Back