Genesis x000 manifold threads into cookbox? Keep threaded or drill out and use a stainless bolt with a nut on it.

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Pretty simple question I guess. It was a bear removing the the old wing-screws out. One broke and I had to cut it off flush with a dremel and eventually twisted it out on the inside.

Should I just drill the threaded holes out and use a stainless hex bolt on the inside and a locking nut on the outside?

or keep it threaded and use antisieze?

or ?

Dan, a few years later weber started using a hex bolt with a lock washer and wing nut to hold the manifold on. I think it would be a lot easier to drill those holes out and go that way.

That's what I did (drill out threads, use nut and bolt). No problems with dissimilar metals in threaded fasreners that way, but just my preference. Cast aluminum isn't a very good material for holding threads anyway, unless you have plenty of engagement, which you don't have in this case. Either way will work fine, though. I think Weber changed the way it's retained because of economy in production...it's one less machining operation for them

Yep drill out and use regular bolt. FWIW I go with SS carriage bolts putting the head inside the cook box

The carriage bolts are not meant for normal round holes. Weber uses hex bolts with lock washer on nut side.

Back