Genesis wont stay lit

Gary Michael

TVWBB Pro
My sister emailed me this morning and said they were grilling steaks last night and the grill kept going out. (Full tank of propane) She knows I frequent forums so asked me to find the problem. The grill is 4 years old or so. I mentioned the regulator but using only kettles, anything w/ gas Im not to knowledgeable about. Anyone? Thanks.

Could be the tank's safety regulator... do they know how to reset it?

Background in case anyone doesn't know about this one: Modern propane tanks have an internal regulator gadget that cuts the gas flow in the event of a leak. It's easy to trip it by accident, and once tripped, the grill may fail to light (or may light, but fail to get hot enough to cook). It can trip if you have a burner turned on when you open the tank's valve. Some tanks will also trip if you open the tank valve too quickly. It's a pain.

The procedure to reset is simple, though: Turn all the burners off. Close the tank valve. Wait 2 full minutes. Open the tank valve SLOWLY. Turn one burner on and light the grill.

Thanks I emailed to my sister, I will let you know what happens. I told her she should of got the performer
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
She may want to detach and re-attach the hose to the tank too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, good point. If it's not attached properly, that can trigger the safety thing too.

"Turn all the burners off. Close the tank valve. Wait 2 full minutes. Open the tank valve SLOWLY. Turn one burner on and light the grill."

My Genesis Silver B wouldn't fire tonight, so I tried that and nothing. Tank is full, and I could not even hear or smell any gas coming out. Bad regulator?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Steve

It could be your propane. Modern propane tanks do have a safety (maximum flow), But it seems that no one who has not been in the business is aware that These tanks do not have just propane in them. Depending upon where you live and that the expected ambient temp is expected to be some butane (which has a very much lower pressure) is mixed with the propane so the tank pressure is year round about the same. The downside of this is that if the tank was filled during the part of the year when the ambient temp is about 100 degrees then more butane is in it. So in the winter when the temp is in the 30s or less it is possible that the tank when used would lower in pressure to the point that the liquid would not vaporize and thus nothing would come out of the valve. What is the fix?
if the above is true then exchanging the tank for another which was filled for winter temps

hope this helps

Here is a link which shows the percentages of each in some areas
http://www.unipetrolrpa.cz/en/.../propane-butane.html

I had a problem once when I couldn't get my Genesis Silver to light and I had just that day had my tank filled at the gas company. Then I remembered that the guy who filled it had taken a screwdriver and turned a screw on the back side of the valve when he filled the tank.

I didn't remember him turning it back when he had finished. I turned the screw about 90 degrees and it fired right up.

Just a thought......

Pat

I had the tank filled a couple weeks ago and have used the grill a couple of times with no problems. We had a cold snap (low temps in the teens, and daytime highs below 30) Lit the grill and it seemed like there was more gas than normal coming out, it sounded like a propane torch on full blast! Grilled burgers on low flame just to be safe. Couple days later....Nothing. No sound or smell of gas at all. Still believe that the regulator is the culprit. Sound right? Should clean the tubes as well.
Thanks for the input, guys.
Steve

Back