Genesis with steel tube frame - The steel tabs are broken off ... best fix?

On my Genesis, the metal tab that the bolt attaches to, has come loose from the other piece of tube it is meant to be fixed to.

My plan is to drill a pilot hole in the other piece (i.e. to the right of the bolt head), then mark the steel tab, then take the steel tab out and drill and tap it. Then put it all back together and have a bolt in each section of tube going into the tab.

Right now, the frame sits with a 1/3 '' gap on both sides due to both tabs having broken free. I'm assuming that they were spot welded into place?

Do I have the best way to fix this?

Thanks,

This would have been my idea as well. The challenge might be to hold a nut on the back of the metal tab once you drilled the holes while getting the bolt in. Where the current bolt sits on the left piece of the frame the metal tab has a threaded hole. Unless you also cut a thread in the new hole you need to have a nut to tighten the bolt

Maybe a slightly smaller piece of square stock or some angle stock (but thick enough to hold threads) could be slipped in there

Maybe a slightly smaller piece of square stock or some angle stock (but thick enough to hold threads) could be slipped in there

Thanks, that's a good idea. It'll be the backup plan.

I'll try to drill this weekend, and see about taping it next week at work.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an already tried and tested method to use.

Back