Genesis v. Charcoal

Just wanted to update: I grilled some chicken the other day, therm was up over 450* in 10 mins this time. The air temp was around 75 this time, the other times it had been 50-60 with cool breeze. Chicken had beautiful grill marks, and it cooked perfectly following weber cookbook recipe/timing. Not that 55 degrees is cold or anything, but I really believe now that there is no problem with my Silver A... it just takes a while to heat up those heavy PCI grates with the meager 22k BTU's. Well worth it, IMO, for the way those PCI grates sear the meat- they are awesome.

Oh, and I clean mine before the cook as well. Just preheat, brush the grates, then spray a shot of pam (let any smoke from the pam clear) and toss food on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willie H:... Just preheat, brush the grates, then spray a shot of pam (let any smoke from the pam clear) and toss food on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Willie

I'm a big fan of PCI grates and have them on my Silver B. You probably know this, but only use a brass brush or SS mesh on these grates. Otherwise, you can chip the coating. On SS or straight CI grates a steel or SS brush can be used.

Also, I have some vague memory of Weber advise not to spray the coated grates with Pam ? It will cause a sticky coating to develope over time. If you try to wash the PCI grates to get rid of this, it's likely water will creep into cracks in the coating and cause the CI to begin to rust.

Glad your grill is working better for you.

Paul

Paul, yeah I use a brass brush. Thanks for the tip about PAM, I'll look into it. I know they don't recommend it for saftey reasons (big fireball) but had never heard about build-up.

I used to oil my kettle grates the way Raichlen does on tv (paper towel/vegetable oil) specifically because I never liked the way PAM tasted when I used it in the kitchen. But that was always messy and time consuming and hard to coat the grate well. So I finally gave in and tried it with PAM... so much easier! Takes a couple seconds and I've never noticed the taste the way I did in the kitchen! And to be honest, it has worked a lot better too. I haven't had food stick since. The paper towel/oil method always seemed to miss a spot or two. Never noticed any buildup on the kettle, but now you have me wondering.

I have been cooking on gas for a few years now and I fired up my little Smokey Joe a few weeks back and I am blown away by how much better my food tastes over some good lump charcoal. I think the taste is well worth the added work. My next grill will be the performer, at which time I'm betting the gasser will begin to collect dust.

When we do quick burgers on the kettle vs. the gas grill, we cannot believe the difference in flavor. Truly, lump or charcoal is going to win, but the gasser is for convenience here, when lighting the kettle for a five minute cook isn't an option.

Also, gassers are great for roasting your peppers. I fried the plastic cover to my hood lights doing it in the kitchen on the open flame.

I agree the charcoal tastes better, but if it wasn't for the convenience of my Silver B, I wouldn't be grilling near as much. As it is, I do it a couple of times a week at least (I only use the WSM about once a month).

Oh, and Willie H -- the perfect solution for you (balancing convenience versus the taste and possible side affects of PAM) is a Misto, or similar product. It's a pump-powered oil mister, and it works great for oiling grates (as well as getting the right amount of oil on grilled vegetables and fish without wiping off the herbs and spices).

A few years ago my kids bought a Genesis
s/s with sideburner for me for Fathers Day.
It was a total surprise. They told me that I could now roll my old 1979 and 1983 kettles to the curb. The Genesis is convenient and I really like the sideburner. For some smoke flavor I sometimes add wood chips wrapped in a foil pouch. But for best flavor.... lets just say that the 2 old kettles never made it to the curb.

Last year I bought a Weber Q. It's a great grill and convenient. However, food cooked on it lacks the great taste that I remember w/ charcoal. The Genesis does have the flavorizer bars, but I've read that the Q grills favorably like the Genesis. 3 weeks ago, I bought an Old Smokey Charcoal Grill. The difference in taste is like nite and day. Hamburgers, vegetables, Beer Can Chicken, chicken breasts taste so much better over charcoal. I don't get the great grill marks that the Q provides, but taste is the bottom line. If I ever get something to replace the Q, I would seriously consider a Performer or Gold One touch. I have a Weber chimney which makes lighting the charcoal more convenient.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Whipple:
Hello All, I just bought a Genesis B from the HD. Are there any previous charcoal users who have purchased a Weber gasser and have been disappointed with the flavor v. charcoal?

S Whipple </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whipple, it's been a few months now since you bought your Genesis. I would expect it's seasoned and producing better tasting food. It seems that new grills need to be used for a bit before the food really develops a good flavor. When they're brand new, the food seems bland. I hope you're happy with the grill now.

If you got your grill from HD, I hope you got the PCI grates instead of the thin stamped stainless ones. The PCI will sear a little better and make the food both look and taste better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
[...] but the gasser is for convenience here, when lighting the kettle for a five minute cook isn't an option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an electric starter (800 Watts) and I lit my Smokey Joe Silver Kettle yesterday to make some really nice hamburgers.
It takes less than 10 minutes to get the briquettes glowing with that thing. I think it's the most convenient way to get grillin' (provided I have a long enough extension cord to get to an electrical socket...)
icon_smile.gif

Image of twin lighters:
http://www.bjornerback.com/tomas/bbq/20050603/images/hpim2188.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Whipple:
Hello All, I just bought a Genesis B from the HD. Are there any previous charcoal users who have purchased a Weber gasser and have been disappointed with the flavor v. charcoal?

Whipple, it's been a few months now since you bought your Genesis. I would expect it's seasoned and producing better tasting food. It seems that new grills need to be used for a bit before the food really develops a good flavor. When they're brand new, the food seems bland. I hope you're happy with the grill now.

If you got your grill from HD, I hope you got the PCI grates instead of the thin stamped stainless ones. The PCI will sear a little better and make the food both look and taste better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TomKatt, The food does taste better now that my Genesis is well seasoned. I did get the PCI grates which are just excellent for searing and easy to clean up to this point. The Genesis has definitely become the preferred means to cook burgers and steaks--taste, IMO is better than charcoal at times or at least comparable, add convenience & control...I am very,very, pleased with my Genesis w/PCI grates it's a nice addition to the arsenal.

s Whipple

I use an electrical starter, you know the 850 Watt-bent-infraheater-type. It lights up those briquettes in about 10 minutes.

/Tomas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:... but My gasser is ready a lot faster than the kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you light the gasser and place all burners on high, you're preheating the grill and the grates at the same time. With charcoal, the chimney has to get going, then dump and allow 10 minutes or so to preheat the grates. imo, the gasser is certainly faster to begin a cook.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:

Ok, good deal. I'm glad you're happy with it. My Genesis took a few cooks before the food tasted good. I don't know why it is, but it just seems like new grills don't develop the flavor well.

If you got your grill from HD, I hope you got the PCI grates instead of the thin stamped stainless ones. The PCI will sear a little better and make the food both look and taste better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TomKatt, The food does taste better now that my Genesis is well seasoned. I did get the PCI grates which are just excellent for searing and easy to clean up to this point. The Genesis has definitely become the preferred means to cook burgers and steaks--taste, IMO is better than charcoal at times or at least comparable, add convenience & control...I am very,very, pleased with my Genesis w/PCI grates it's a nice addition to the arsenal.

s Whipple </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the best parts of this forum is that everyone can express their likes, dislikes or opinions without fear or favour.
The Charcoal versus Gasser debate will continue until the end of time or until no trees are left to sustain our passion or gass left in the ground.
Coming from a different culture, (i.e. Australian) we have developed a different type of taste for our food. American food tastes very sweet to us, including the bread. Our likes are more of a savoury nature as exemplified by our full flavoured peppery Shiraz and the strong berry tastes of our Cabernet. One of the best examples of our preference for savoury tastes is “vegemite”, a thick black paste made from yeast extract. When I worked for Snap-on Tools and went to the USA for meetings and such like, I always took a jar of it with me to have with my breakfast, I can remember many occasions giving it to American co-workers just to see their reactions. Normally they would spit it out with very specific comments about where I could keep it and what they thought it was made of. Yet our children crave for it.
It has become apparent to me when barbecuing for friends or demonstrating barbecuing that the average Australian preferred taste comes from BBQ cooked on a gasser rather than from a Kettle or WSM. Having said that, the most common dish on a kettle is rolled roast pork shoulder or roast leg of pork, which is a traditional Christmas dish. Everyone in Australia who has a kettle will swear that you cannot beat that roast pork flavour.
I personally like the gasser mainly because my style of BBQs is more a fusion style. The fusion style is Western with an Asian influence sometimes coupled with Greek, Italian and Indian overtures. This is also influenced by the good availability of fresh produce and the cuts of meat available. One of my favourites was Tandoori Lamb Shanks, the shanks used to be 4 for $2.00 they are now smaller and $2.69 each, I don't do them very often for a big BBQ now.
So for the question of which is best the Genesis or Charcoal - IMO - it depends on what your and your family/friends tastes are and what your preferred style of cooking is.
To cover all bets, you should have as a minimum a: WSM, Kettle, Gasser with a side burner (Genesis or Summit) and a Weber Q for everyday use.

Regards

Back