Genesis Silver C vs. Genesis II S-335

Jeff Tin

Hello, all! New here but I've learned a lot from just browsing these forums. I'm looking to get my dad a nice grill for Father's Day. Weber seems to be highly recommended, but I can't decide if I want to restore an old one or buy a new one.

I found what looks to be a pre-2005 Genesis Silver C with side burner for $20. It will need new burners, grates, flavorizer bars, and warming rack, as those are all rusted through or missing. I plan to buy most of these from Dave Santana. From what I can tell, the firebox, lid, and frame look to be in good condition structurally; just needs a really good cleaning and paint. This would be my first restoration and it looks like there's a lot to do; but I have a lot of downtime right now due to the bug going around, so this should be a fun project.

100509539_10220761308256654_2421586343411843072_o.jpg

The second option is a new Genesis II S-335 I found for $600 in a liquidation sale. These retail for $1049 so I think this is a good deal. The 10 year warranty is nice in case he ever has problems with it. However, I've heard the closed cabinet can hold moisture and tend to rust, and the stainless steel lid is hard to keep clean. Ideally I would get an SE-330, but this may be too good a deal to pass up.

103619839_3138855969487178_352832865622845916_n.jpg

Money isn't a huge concern for me and I'm willing to pay for high quality. That being said, I am always looking for good value and good deals, and most of all a happy father :). Thanks to everyone for your input!

Jeff, The Silver C is easy to restore as long as the main components are in good shape - Firebox, Lid, frame and manifold. Parts are available. Basic tools and elbow grease will get the job done.

The SE-330 looks nice.

Live a little and get both.

I say get the Silver C and fix it up for about $200 in premium Dave Santana parts. It will likely outlast the Gen 2 335. Accentuate the benefit of the E/W burners by putting a rotisserie on it as well. In fact, it looks like it comes with one. But I would also get him one of the fork kind of rotos. The one on the grill is a basket style.

The things to look out for on the Silver C is general rust, but particularly on the cross member next to the cook box on the left side. Also, check the heavy wire rack under the grill. There will likely be some rust spots at the joints, but make sure it just minor surface rust and isn't affecting larger areas. Make sure the cook box is in decent shape and particularly that the front edge of the cook box is not bowed out significantly.

The Gen 2 335 is a fine grill and I am sure pops would love it, but I think he would also love the nostalgia of the older style that he is probably much more familiar with (maybe even owned one of the older style Genesis grills at some point). Plus, you get to put your own personal mark on it by rehabbing it and in the process save a few hundred bucks. That would buy dad a lot of NY Strips and racks of ribs.

Well look what I found. A very nice maroon lid, and close by too. This makes the Silver C even more tempting. I may pick this up too and see which color he likes better.

83609151_10217301359109594_2893469580306495678_o.jpg

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Hey Jeff, I have a S 330 which is the predecessor of the S 335 and I also have a Silver C with a maroon hood. If I had to do it over again I would never have bought the S 330. It never sees the rain and is still rusting, even the stainless side shelves. And it is hard to keep the Stainless clean. I would agree with Bruce, Silver C with Dave’s internals, the maroon hood and some meat to cook is a better deal in my mind. Good luck with your decision.

That lid looks like it came from someone on this forum, it has a red painted kettle on the emblem.

LOL, you are right. It might have passed through the hands of someone on this this forum. I think Weber did that on some of it's logos but not sure if they did it on any gas grills.

Back