Genesis Silver B manifold question

MikeAlt

TVWBB Member
2001 genesis silver B recently installed a manifold the valves are a little low fit to control panel.
Can I just bend up a little while still installed to cook box or should remove and bend a little in a vise?

I wouldn't bend it while attached to the cookbox, it might shatter it. As LMichaels mentioned above, there is supposed to be a manifold support bracket installed to hold it up.

Is it possible that the manifold came from an older grill? If I recall, the angle of an older cookbox is slightly different and will pitch the manifold a little.

The support bracket can be seen in this pic. Hooks over the underside crossbar and holds the manifold up. This is a Genesis 1000 but it is the same as a 2000 Silver B.

1680915404198.png

The bracket Steve posted is a little later design. I think Dan's picture shows the earlier bracket, like what I found in the Junior. In fact, Dan's picture shows the same narrow crossmember as the Junior - which was eliminated in later grills. Here's a picture of the two brackets side-by-side. The Junior is on the left and a Silver series is on the right.

Attachments

• manifold bracket.jpg
    manifold bracket.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
The bracket Steve posted is a little later design. I think Dan's picture shows the earlier bracket, like what I found in the Junior. In fact, Dan's picture shows the same narrow crossmember as the Junior - which was eliminated in later grills. Here's a picture of the two brackets side-by-side. The Junior is on the left and a Silver series is on the right.
Excellent, I think that explains it perfectly.

Some weber grills have wire brackets. They are permanently attached to the manifolds in pairs. The work the same way as the flat brackets above.

I stole the pic from another post to show it as an example.

I've seen a few different shapes of the support brackets, but most are the newer style like what Steve showed.

And here are two manifolds both from silver Bs.

The square one to the left has the loops Bruce mentioned. It is from a 2002.

The one to the right is from a 2000 silver B, and it has the same support bracket as the later genesis x000s

20210605_145748.jpg

Even the new replacement manifolds for the 1000 series look yours on the left with the square fuel runner and hooks.Screenshot_20230407-232114.png

My Spirit 700 came with a manifold support bracket with looks like the ones on the gen x000 series but is shorter to accommodate the hIgher manifold position in its shallower box.
I have seen the same one on early silver b’s

Is it possible that the manifold came from an older grill? If I recall, the angle of an older cookbox is slightly different and will pitch the manifold a little.
Well, now I don't think so...

I was out in the shed playing with stuff today and I took a few pictures. First, I think it might be pretty hard to put a 1000 manifold on a Silver (and vice versa). I didn't realize this but, the Silver mounting bolts are about 3/8 inch closer together than the 1000. In the picture below, titled "width", you can see the difference.

Next, I took the head off my little square and, best I could, tried to note the difference in the two angles. The 1000 is pretty near 90 degrees (probably is 90, give or take for the rust). The Silver is less than 90 (from the bending perspective - bent less than 90). This is the angle difference I was referring to in my (quoted above) post.

I'm thinking they made the change to eliminate the cast-in wedges on the 1000 cookboxs (maybe saved some cost? ) . The wedges make up for the slope in the cookbox wall - resulting in a horizontal manifold. The Silver cookboxes don't have these wedges so they just bent the mounting tabs on the manifold a little less to accommodate the slope - and still have the manifold end up horizontal.

I don't have any older Spirits (like the 700) at the moment but I'm wondering what they did on those grills. Did they have the cast-in wedges like a 1000? Are the mounting bolts the same width as a 1000? Or, are these aspects the same as a Silver? As Hank has said before, it looks like the Spirit cookbox was the predecessor to the Silver - while the 1000 was totally dropped.

Sorry to have geeked out here :ROFLMAO: - I find this kind of mechanical history really fascinating...

Attachments

• Silver.jpg
    Silver.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 9
  • width.jpg
    width.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 9

Back