Genesis S320 vs S330 lid - Heat Shield?

Steve Tr

Genesis S320/S330 lid component swap?

Hi all, my father has a 2014 Genesis S330 that unfortunately has an unsightly dent in the lid. I found a $30 Craigslist replacement from an S320 but it doesn't have the heat shield, and one of the cast AL sides has some paint flaking.

My intention was to disassemble the lids and swap only the main stainless steel sheetmetal panel from the S320 lid over to my dad's lid.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? Is there any known problem with this strategy? I called up Weber service and they wouldn't offer much help, but this looks fairly straightforward? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

I have to admit that I have avoided disassembling the Genesis 300 hoods, whereas with the older Genesis 1000 or Silvers that is standard procedure. However, I don't see any reason why you cannot disassemble and swap as you describe. If your Craigslist acquisition is OK besides the flaking paint, why not just use it and repaint both sides? With these hoods, I have had very good luck with careful taping. (I wouldn't personally try to tape the old style hoods when painting the sides.)

The heat shield is intended to keep the stainless steel from turning blue from heat. They also started putting the shields on the porcelain hoods. I believe they did that because the inside porcelain has a nasty habit of producing sheets of shiny black carbon buildup. Many interpret this as peeling paint, but it is just carbon. Still, who wants that flaking on your food? To avoid it takes regular cleaning. On the other hand, the heat shields do deteriorate over time and can corrode all the way through.

If I am understanding you, I believe you are planning on using your current heat shield with the replacement hood. I am not sure about that, because the heat shields are spot welded on (at least that is what it appears to me) so this could be pretty tricky. Maybe you have access to that. Anyway, you CAN use the stainless hood without the shield, but the stainless will most likely tint over time.

Thanks for the info Jon! Good to know it's not unheard of to disassemble at least the older lids. I'm a bit nervous about running the older S320 lid as-is on the S330 because the area over the sear burner gets so dang hot - my wife and I own both an EP330 and an EP310 and the max heat output difference is surprising....I'm worried the older S320 lid may discolor as you describe without the heat shield. Think I'll try to disassemble the Craigslist lid first and compare the parts and assembly methods as best as I can to see if this swap is viable.

If there's any additional experience or relevant info with this type of part swap please let me know!

A while back I picked up a brand new black 300 series hood someone had gotten from Weber under warranty and then decided to junk the grill. I had to store it because of tax season but yesterday I took a look at it. I noticed that the heat shield on this hood appeared to be removable not welded. Maybe what you have is that way, too.

Best wishes on a successful redo!

I have a Genesis 330 stainless steel. The lid appears to have a removable heat shield. The heat shield has rusted into on the back side. Anyone have insight to finding a replacement heat shield? Looks as if I could manufacture one with a break and the right metal.

I have a Genesis 330 stainless steel. The lid appears to have a removable heat shield. The heat shield has rusted into on the back side. Anyone have insight to finding a replacement heat shield? Looks as if I could manufacture one with a break and the right metal.
No replacements. Either replace entire lid or jsut get an angle grinder and cut it out. It really does not serve too much purpose other than cosmetic anyway

I have patched in a sheet to replace the worn out liner. Just find a similar metal like from another grill lid. Cut out or go over the offending section. Bend it to your desired shape. Tack weld or fasten it mechanically.

Option 2 - call Weber and tell them metal shards are falling onto the cooking surface from the rotten liner. They will ask for photos. Weber covers rot or burn through on the liner as long as the grill is in warranty usually 10 years or more.

Option 3 rip out the liner. Ok on a black or dark lid. Stainless lid will probably discolor to a bluish shade. Grill will function fine.

Option 2 - call Weber and tell them metal shards are falling onto the cooking surface from the rotten liner. They will ask for photos. Weber covers rot or burn through on the liner as long as the grill is in warranty usually 10 years or more.
I believe the Warranty on my 2016 E330 is 10 years for cookbox and lid.

Back