Genesis S-310?

MARoan

TVWBB Member
This has to be the newest version of the Genesis, right? Pretty sure it is a S-310, but it is missing the genesis badge on the right hand shelf. How easy do you think it will be to clean this up and what things should I be looking for to make sure this is a good value? I am paying for the item today. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated! Cheers.

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/grq/5670897616.html

I believe that they also used to make the Spirit line in Stainless as well, so it could be a Spirit S-310 rather than Genesis S-310. Easiest way to tell the difference would be to measure the main cooking grate (i.e. not the warming rack). If it is around 424 sq. in., it is a Spirit. If it is around 507 sq. in. it is a Genesis. Either way, as long as it is in good shape and not rusted out I'd say it is a good deal. Check inside the cabinet for rust, particularly around the hole underneath the tank. Also check around the back on the bottom corners of the cabinet for rust, in addition to the obvious spots like inside the firebox and easily visible areas like the front of the firebox, lid, etc.

The shape of the lid says Genesis...that's an $850 grill new, so if it looks good and isn't rusted like Steve said, it's a great deal!

I paid $160.50 after tax. Going to have them send me some pictures of the firebox to make sure. Wouldn't a rusted out firebox be covered under warranty with this grill being less than five years old? I pick it up here in a few weeks, so I hope that it's in as good of shape as advertised!

Technically, the warranty is only good for the original owner and does not transfer with ownership. That said, when I had a warranty issue with my kettle grill, they only confirmed that it was still under warranty and had no way of determining whether or not I was the original owner (I was). Weber would likely stand behind it and replace it as long as you don't mention that you bought it used given their reputation, but they technically would not have to cover it based on the way their warranty policy is written.

My understanding is that the cabinets usually rust out before the fire boxes on these grills, and I do not know the warranty coverage of the cabinet off-hand.

Technically, the warranty is only good for the original owner and does not transfer with ownership. That said, when I had a warranty issue with my kettle grill, they only confirmed that it was still under warranty and had no way of determining whether or not I was the original owner (I was). Weber would likely stand behind it and replace it as long as you don't mention that you bought it used given their reputation, but they technically would not have to cover it based on the way their warranty policy is written.

My understanding is that the cabinets usually rust out before the fire boxes on these grills, and I do not know the warranty coverage of the cabinet off-hand.

Here is what Weber lists as their warranty. I was able to call and confirm that it is indeed a S-310.

WEBER® SUMMIT®, GENESIS® AND SPIRIT® SERIES WARRANTIES
Cookbox 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Lid Assembly 10 years, no rust through/burn through (2 years on paint excludes fading or discoloration)
Stainless steel burner tubes 10 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through/burn through
Stainless steel flavorizer bars 5 years, no rust through/burn through
Porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through/burn through
All remaining parts 2 years

Kind of difficult for a cast aluminum cookbox to rust through, but I did see one with a hole in it, not from corrosion though.

Back