Genesis II vs pre-2017 Genesis

Nik G

This is my first post in the forum.
I have a potentially sweet deal on a used Weber Genesis 3-burner grill that is purported to be about 4 years old and in good condition. Through looking online it seems that in 2017 Weber redesigned the grill and called it Genesis II. Looking at the E-310 model. Among the changes that caught my attention were the new burners. They look a lot better and supposedly provide more even heating and longer life. So a few questions:

-Is the new model actually better than the old in terms of searing power and even heat distribution?
-Could a set of new burners be transplanted into the pre-2017 grill? I have basic metalworking skills and tools if minor mods needed.

I am looking to replace my old non-Weber grill and the most important things to me are even heating, ability to sear and good temperature control. I looked at other manufacturers but keep coming back to Weber based on reviews. I don't have a huge budget, but would rather drop extra money on a better grill or get a quality used grill for the same price as something new that is likely to be in the landfill within 5 years.

Thanks

They cook decently for "grilling" if you ever wanted to do rotisserie cooking forget it on the grills with front controls. Waste of time

Definitely get the 2017 and after. Better in my opinion, better burners that cooks evenly, two rows of flavor bars like the older 1000 series.

Get a new one, Weber seems to have rediscovered its mojo with the II, the burners are nicer and there's a 10 year warranty. E-310's are now $50 off. True Value Hardware has some great deals with free ship to store. An E-310 is $699 and an SE-310 is $749. The SE includes 9mm stainless grates and a grill handle light. A set of 9mm grates from Dave Santana for my newly restored Genesis 1000 set me back $115.

If I were spending your money ;) :LOL:, I would go for the SE-330 in crimson. It has the 9mm grates, an additional sear burner inside the cookbox and a side burner. It is always so much more fun to spend other people's money!

GenesisIICrimson2.jpg

Seriously, double and triple check before you buy that you are getting the correct version for the fuel you plan on using, LP or NG. There have been a rash of threads around here about trying to convert from one fuel to the other and it never ends well.

Mine came already assembled so i did not mess with it. Only thing i would do is maybe spray paint an additional coat or two the cart frame with same color and whatever needs except the cookbox and lid and shelf, control panel, etc. Only reason i am saying this, since is new the history is unknown for this particular model and we know what happened with the previous generation Genesis panels that rusted out of existence.

Yah, they're good grills no doubt but as LM said they don't make good roti grills due to the burner configuration and no rotisserie overhead burner. I did have a Genesis II E-310 early last year and I ended up selling it because it was cheaper to refurb an old school grill (but not cheaper when you have Weberitis :LOL:). My bro in law has a Genesis II E-310 and he's enjoying it.

I have done a pork tenderloin and a whole chicken on the rotisserie on my Genesis II S-335 with no problems. Has anyone with one of the newer grills really had any problems spinning?

Wow, so many great replies. That deal on the older model actually evaporated. Guy on CL sold it local. It was only $250 and in good shape so I thought that was a pretty good deal if I could have gotten it.
So...I will still be looking.
Currently looking at a Genesis II E-310 regular model. I never do rotisserie, have never used a side burner on any grills I have owned and already have a pellet smoker, so what I really need from the grill is just grilling potential for some burgers, wings, chicken breast, maybe some steaks and fish etc. Most grills I have had up to this point promise even heating, but they never deliver. ALWAYS spots that sear food quickly and others that barely cook or give any color to the outside of the meat. I am simply tired of rotating food constantly trying to get everything to cook evenly. Very annoying when doing a few pounds of wings.
Sounds like the newer model is more than just a transplant of new burners into the older model...seems a list of improvements
SE model for $50 more might be worth it to get the better stainless grates and that light is a neat idea.

What is the best sale price anybody has seen on these? Apparently a $749 grill that is on sale for $699 at multiple places. $50 off is OK but not a huge deal in my opinion

Wow, so many great replies. That deal on the older model actually evaporated. Guy on CL sold it local. It was only $250 and in good shape so I thought that was a pretty good deal if I could have gotten it.
So...I will still be looking.
Currently looking at a Genesis II E-310 regular model. I never do rotisserie, have never used a side burner on any grills I have owned and already have a pellet smoker, so what I really need from the grill is just grilling potential for some burgers, wings, chicken breast, maybe some steaks and fish etc. Most grills I have had up to this point promise even heating, but they never deliver. ALWAYS spots that sear food quickly and others that barely cook or give any color to the outside of the meat. I am simply tired of rotating food constantly trying to get everything to cook evenly. Very annoying when doing a few pounds of wings.
Sounds like the newer model is more than just a transplant of new burners into the older model...seems a list of improvements
SE model for $50 more might be worth it to get the better stainless grates and that light is a neat idea.
IMO, I would look for a Genesis II E-310 that is slightly used and get it for as cheap as possible. Then when you do get it I'd replace the grates and flavo bars with the stuff from RC since he makes and sells those now. I know you can purchase the light separately.

What is the best sale price anybody has seen on these? Apparently a $749 grill that is on sale for $699 at multiple places. $50 off is OK but not a huge deal in my opinion
I'd buy at end of summer (if you can wait that long) because some HD and Lowes stores (and I think Walmart) will try to clear them out. I bought my Gen II E-310 for $169 at Walmart, used it for a couple of cooks, and flipped it for $500 so not a bad profit. Check Slickdeals for deals and stuff.

Nik,
To be honest based on what you said, you would very likely be happier and have a lot less maintenance (not to mention outlay) if you bought a Weber Q3200. Don't laugh, these grills have very close to the grate space that a Genesis 300 series grill like you were looking at. No, not meant for rotisserie, not really for low and slow bbq, but for GRILLING steaks, burgers, chops, chicken as you mentioned I don't think a Genesis can do a better job. And with a Q you get an all cast aluminum firebox & hood and a glass infused plastic stand. Almost nothing to rust. You will need to replace the grate over time and the burners, but if cared for these are much easier to maintain. Cleaning is quick and easy.

IMG_4257.JPEG

BELOW: Q3200 grate set laid on top of a Genesis 330 set - not a lot of difference!

IMG_4259.JPEG

IMG_4256.JPEG

IMG_4264.JPEG

IMG_4266.JPEG

I have done a pork tenderloin and a whole chicken on the rotisserie on my Genesis II S-335 with no problems. Has anyone with one of the newer grills really had any problems spinning?
Not sure how anyone could spin a pork tenderloin. They're not much more size than a fat sausage :D And yes you CAN do it and NO I never indicated there would be "problems" BUT if you ever took the time to compare spinning something side by side to a NS burner Weber like yours and and EW style as I have doing a side by side with my Genesis 2 and my Summit (basically a 4 burner version of the new Genesis) you would understand. There is no comparison to spinning food on an old Genesis. Hands down it's what they were born to do. Yeah you "could" on a new one but if you don't have anything to compare to you have no idea what you're missing and how "good" it can be

That Q3200 might be an option. Actually, I was looking at GrillGrates as a possible solution. Just throw them on my current grill to see what happens. Those things have some pretty good reviews and seem to potentially solve my problems of flare ups and uneven heating. And if they don't work out on my existing grill then I can always use them on a better new grill like the Weber.
My current grill is a Broil Mate. Not the best burners, but I believe the tub is completely aluminum and the chassis is still holding up surprisingly well after years of being in the elements. If those GrillGrates work as well as people say then maybe just get those and look for a smoking deal on a Weber closer to the end of the summer or early fall.

Does anybody have experience with GrillGrates? The anodized aluminum grates.

Back