Genesis ii s-435 side burner setting …hot and hotter

BSmith

My side burner seems like it only has 2 settings hot and hotter. Even on the lowest setting it wont get low enough to simmer something . I called and Weber is sending me a replacement valve/cup assembling . Think this will fix problem or just a waste of time ?

Can you give some history on your grill. Make/Model/year. Was it working good and then just started doing this? Did you do any maintenance or modifications before this started happening? etc...........

OOPS, i just realized you are talking about your Side burner only.

My side burner seems like it only has 2 settings hot and hotter. Even on the lowest setting it wont get low enough to simmer something . I called and Weber is sending me a replacement valve/cup assembling . Think this will fix problem or just a waste of time ?
The side burner on my E330 is similar. Really Hot, and Hot.

I like it when I am using a wok, or cast iron, or boiling a pot of water, but for simmering a sauce the burner is too hot.

If I want to simmer on it, I use a flame tamer. You can find them used on eBay.

1660259321416.png

1660259332540.png

Unfortunately, all the Genesis II side burners are like that. I think they do it to prevent wind blowing them out, which is exactly what happened when I swapped in a smaller orifice so I could warm sauce without burning it. Now, I use a portable induction burner for anything requiring low heat.

I'll have to look at the flame tamer, never tried that.

So you guys think replacing the valve/cup assembly is a waste of time ?
Yes. If the parts have not shipped, you could be a good Samaritan and try to cancel, save those dollars for useful warranty parts, or R&D to make a Summit that's not a rust bucket! If you're up for orifice experimentation (wow, that sounds wrong), I can drop one in an envelope to you. Just PM your address. Slowly increase the drill size until you get the heat you want. I used to swap between 8k and 15k BTU/hr on my Summit (stock is 12k). I kept the wrench in burner tray, so it was a 30 second swap between frying and simmering. Now, I have an outlet near the grill so I just use the electric burner when I need low heat.

Yes. If the parts have not shipped, you could be a good Samaritan and try to cancel, save those dollars for useful warranty parts, or R&D to make a Summit that's not a rust bucket! If you're up for orifice experimentation (wow, that sounds wrong), I can drop one in an envelope to you. Just PM your address. Slowly increase the drill size until you get the heat you want. I used to swap between 8k and 15k BTU/hr on my Summit (stock is 12k). I kept the wrench in burner tray, so it was a 30 second swap between frying and simmering. Now, I have an outlet near the grill so I just use the electric burner when I need low heat.
Yeah it already shipped …i just ordered a flame tamer . Im gonna try that out. But thank you for the offer I appreciate it

Same issue with two other Genesis models. It's not efficient, but I resolved my problem by buying another 6" grate with legs 2"+ long which leaves an inch of air space above the stock grate. It let's me fry without burning which is all I wanted.

As far as I'm concerned, Weber really screwed this up. Other manufacturers have managed the side burner, why can't they?

I like the side burner on my E330. It has lots of heat. I usually light coal on it but it does well with a wok or a cast iron fry pan.

If I need less heat, the flame tamer works well, or I just simmer over coal or inside the gasser.

Back