Genesis Grill Restoration Questions: Removing Firebox,Removing Burner Tubes

G Gelster

Genesis Grill Restoration Questions: Removing Firebox,Removing Burner Tubes, Orfices

I am working on restoring a couple red topped genesis grills. I always have issue with two items.

1) Removing the bolt holding the firebox in the frame. This always seems rusted in place and I break the bolt trying to get the nut off. I end up drilling it out. Any suggestions of an easier way?

2) Removing the burner tubes. I always have problems removing the two bolts holding the three burner assembly in the firebox. I can never get them to unscrew. Any suggestions on removing them.

3) I also am looking for a good source regarding orifices to convert LP grills to natural gas and the reverse.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
First off you should never remove the 2 bolts inside the firebox. The burners are supposed to slide out the right side (as you're facing the grill) by simply removing the manifold. As for the other screw the biggest problem is Weber (to save $.25) uses a regular steel bolt which reacts to the aluminum of the fire box. So it takes a lot of patience and PBlaster penetrating oil. Once it's out use a stainless steel carriage bolt and you'll never have the issue again

First off you should never remove the 2 bolts inside the firebox. The burners are supposed to slide out the right side (as you're facing the grill) by simply removing the manifold. As for the other screw the biggest problem is Weber (to save $.25) uses a regular steel bolt which reacts to the aluminum of the fire box. So it takes a lot of patience and PBlaster penetrating oil. Once it's out use a stainless steel carriage bolt and you'll never have the issue again

I have some PBlaster on its way. I assumed the 2 bolts holding the burners had to be removed. That is good news. Thanks.

Mine were very tight to remove the burners, but I was able to get a screwdriver down in between the burner and the firebox. I gently worked it back and forth and eventually got them to start moving. Be gentle and they will slide out.

Back