Genesis gas grill with a blue top.

Ed Greenwell

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

This my first post here, I just got a Weber gas grill from my friend, he was going to put it out at the street and I rescued it, I looked at the grills on this forum and decided it was a Genesis mode, it has a ceramic coated blue top with red, white and blue letters AFF molded in to it, I have been looking all over the internet trying find out what they mean, there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people here, so I thought I would give it a shot, The grill needed some sprucing up and some small repairs, I have it working and am ready for my first cook, I tried to post a picture but couldn't figure out how to do it, thanks for any help.

Ed Greenwell

Ed,

First off - welcome to the forum. For posting pictures, you need to upload them to a host site like Photobucket, Picasa, etc... Then you can copy/paste the direct image

Ed,

I tried snooping around the internet about your grill, but my browser at work is pretty restricted and I can't get to too many pages. However a site came up in my google search ("Weber Grill AFF") from a sight called www.restoredgrills.com/old_site/archives.html‎Cached

I can not access the site from work but from the brief description I could read and it said "... Genesis 5000 - Very Rare , Limited Special Edition AFF - American Frozed Foods Model."

Maybe you found yourself something special? :) Perhaps your can find more info on the restoredgrills website?

Last edited:
Ed,

I tried snooping around the internet about your grill, but my browser at work is pretty restricted and I can't get to too many pages. However a site came up in my google search ("Weber Grill AFF") from a sight called www.restoredgrills.com/old_site/archives.html‎Cached

I can not access the site from work but from the brief description I could read and it said "... Genesis 5000 - Very Rare , Limited Special Edition AFF - American Frozed Foods Model."

Maybe you found yourself something special? :) Perhaps your can find more info on the restoredgrills website?

This is the photo Andy referenced

Blue.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, The picture above looks just like my grill except that mine has a flip up table on the left side, it seems that maybe I hit a home run on the first try and got a rare one, well I am still going to cook on it and not just look at it. Where would you get the wood slats for the shelf's? Are they kind of a standard size you can get in a home improvement store? Well thanks again for the info and I will try to get a picture posted of my treasure.

Ed Greenwell

The grill in the pic is a Genesis 3000 series. It came with the flip up table on the left and if you look closely, you can see the metal rod (hinge) still in place. AFF --- beats me. I highly doubt it's a Smithsonian piece, so go ahead and fire it up for its intended purposes. :)

Weber does sell replacement wood slats, but they're called Durawood and a solid gray color. If you have some basic woodworking tools, you can replace the wood pretty easy.

Last edited:
Great find!
I don't think it's worth much money, but it sure is worth a lot as a grill. I hope it cleans up well and doesn't need too many parts.

If you can't cut the wood pieces yourself, you must know someone who could easily do it for you in the interest of fixing up the grill.

I did my first cook on the grill tonight, a couple of New York strip steaks, they came out great! I should be able to do the wood working without a problem, I will have to start looking around at the home improvement stores and see what kind of wood they have. The grill didn't need a lot of parts as my friend had replaced the flavorizer bars recently and the cooking grates, I had to buy a new bottom tray as the old one had HUGE holes rusted in it, and I also had to replace the missing bottom tray slides, and I have a new thermometer on the way for it. Thanks again for all the replies and help.

Ed Greenwell

The big-box-stores (Lowes, Home Depot) probably won't have much besides pine, oak, maple, and poplar. Our local lumber yard carries redwood. Just a thought.

I'm still curious about the AFF? Does anyone know if this a promotional grill made for American Frozen Foods? What made it a "limited edition" simply the AFF badging, the color, or did it have features not typically found on other grills?

I was kind of wondering that too, I did notice something I hadn't seen before, there is another hinge on the right side and a slide bar for a fold up table (missing), I haven't seen that on any other grill I have looked at'. Now I am looking for a table to replace the missing one.

I'm still curious about the AFF? Does anyone know if this a promotional grill made for American Frozen Foods? What made it a "limited edition" simply the AFF badging, the color, or did it have features not typically found on other grills?

AFF ---- A Fantastic Find !

Back