Genesis EP330 cleaned and freshened

Briant PA

Did a lot of work to my Genesis ep330 (circa 2013) the past month or so and figured I'd share with the community a summary of everything I did, may add photos later.

About a month ago and thanks to excellent support from Weber CS, I decided to replace the igniter because it never seemed to put out much spark even with a new battery, then I noticed the heat shield near the sear burner had pretty much given up so again Weber CS to the rescue. Instead of just replacing these parts and calling it a day I decided to then take the firebox and grill lid apart, give them a decent cleaning while inspecting the burners and other parts. Also washed the sides and cart with warm soapy water and then sprayed any welds along with the floor of the cart with wd-40 and wiped off the excess. The burners though rusty still were solid metal and just needed a good brushing, the screws holding them in (on this model you need to either take the screws out to get the burners off or loosen the manifold) were goners especially on the left side of the grill, same goes for the screw holding the heat shield in. I decided to get the old shield out, thankfully enough of it was left that with some struggling with the vise grips I was able to get it out. I then used a plastic putty knife on the caked on areas of the firebox, then used my pressure washer to clean the lid and firebox. The new heat shield came with a screw thankfully so it went in easy and I only tightened the screw enough to hold the heat shield firmly.

I reassembled the grill and everything was working well but I noticed the porcelain heat shields were not much longer for this world and that the flavorizer bars were not far behind, though the grates weren't too bad though. I decided to look for replacements for the heat shields and flavorizer bars and found rcplanebuyer does a nice deal for members here if you contact him on craigslist. His prices for those two items was better than the weber versions and I always heard good things about his products. I then asked him about grates and though expensive I decided to pull the trigger on those, feeling I'd probably be wanting new grates in 3-4 years anyways and this way I could get them now and save on shipping. I also found Weber oem burner screws so bought 2 packs of them, though I;d prefer some high quality 304/316 SS screws but couldn't find any easily (I may keep looking for them).

All my parts from rcplanebuyer arrived today, the heat shields, flavorizer bars and grates and I was very impressed with them. Everything was packed well and though the items had a few minor scratches and blemishes they all looked good overall. I did a magnet test on my old Weber oem parts and all those oem items were magnetic (grates, bars, shields) whereas the new ones from Rcplanebuyer not at all. I next decided to replace the burner screws and thanks to some wd-40 and strong vise grips I was able to get them out and replaced, again only tightening enough that I could easily unscrew them in the future. Next after a quick wash with warm soapy water, in went the new heat shields, bars and grates. The new grates were a bit of a tight fit and oddly only seemed to line up when placed a certain way in the grill but they seemed to be true when I looked at them - I may inspect them better another day to make sure they didn't get a bit out of alignment when shipped but it was getting late and I was hungry.

Fired up the grill and ran it on high for 20-25 minutes to burn off any remaining oils. Once hot and new parts were glowing red I placed some sirloins on the grill and they cooked up beautifully with great sear marks. Overall very happy with both Weber Customer Service who went above and beyond on the igniter and heat shield, and also rcplanebuyer who makes quality products. I know there are some decent oversea alternatives for grates, shields and bars that are usually less expensive than oem or rcplanebuyer but I felt confident with his products after reading many glowing reviews on here and ebay, and actually other than the grates everything was priced competitively with OEM replacement parts and I knew it was quality 304 stainless.

Big thanks to this forum and its member for sharing their knowledge and experiences which made it much easier for me to get all the above done.

Last edited:
Welcome the forum. Lots of good members here will lots of good knowledge and advice.

Back