Genesis E330 - 4 burner - need to reduce to 3

Mark Worms

TVWBB Member
I am refurbishing a Genesis E330 Natural gas grill. It has 4 burners ( 3 burners and the seer burner). The new cookbox I got ( from FB marketplace - pic attached) only has 3 slots for the burners. I can remove the seer burner valve on the manifold, but the question is what do i use to plug that hole on the manifold. any ideas??

Thanks

IMG_C18705CE2F37-1.jpeg

It's quite likely the manifold and valves are Chinese made. So more than likely metric. It it was totally USA spec then 1/8th" NPT plug would do the job.

Why not cut a hole for the sear burner? The sear burner is absolutely worth having on an E330.

Dremel diamond pattern tile cutting bit would eat through the aluminum fairly well.

If you add the sear burner, I suggest adding the stainless steel heat shield that is also missing.

I think it would create an issue and likely cause a thermal stress crack. Look at the casting and where the burners are passed through. Notice the reinforcing flange?

It's quite likely the manifold and valves are Chinese made. So more than likely metric. It it was totally USA spec then 1/8th" NPT plug would do the job.
The manifold is not threaded like an x000 or Genesis Silver. The valves through bolt with gaskets on both sides.

1688591884124.png

Right, they are not the same kind of manifolds as the old Silver and 1000 grills. Unless there is a tried and true plug made for these kind of manifolds, I think you would be wise to either find a different cook box or find a different manifold. Cutting a hole in the cook box might work but would be big time dangerous. The cook boxes that have the sear burners are designed and constructed differently to accommodate the sear burner.

But, that is your call. I just don't think Darwin needs any company.

Cutting a hole in the cook box might work but would be big time dangerous. The cook boxes that have the sear burners are designed and constructed differently to accommodate the sear burner.

The cookbox for the 310 looks nearly identical to my 330 (edit:) except for the hole being cut out to allow the burner to come through to the front.

The new 310 cook box has the post to hold the burner, and it looks like it has the hole drilled to mount the heat shield.

Look at the relief flange on the 4 burner cook box. If you just drill a large hole there will be all kind of thermal stresses and the box will eventually fracture. That's even IF you could find a way to mount the burner at the rear. Plugging that manifold is a piece of cake. There is no real pressure in there. Simply use high temp RTV and make a metal disc to glue over the opening

Larry makes good points.

BTW Larry, what you gonna buy with the $25 Lowes gift card?

Look at the relief flange on the 4 burner cook box. If you just drill a large hole there will be all kind of thermal stresses and the box will eventually fracture. That's even IF you could find a way to mount the burner at the rear. Plugging that manifold is a piece of cake. There is no real pressure in there. Simply use high temp RTV and make a metal disc to glue over the opening
Mine has no differences. 2016 E330

20230705_145747.jpg20230705_145705.jpg

Drill out the bottom of the tear drop. I am sure they make bits like hole saws for metal or maybe spade bits designed to cut metal. Then then drill a top of the tear drop with a smaller bit and then just file the rest out or maybe cut it with a dremmel type tool.

Yep, they make metal hole saw bits you can put in your drill. That would probably at least work for the main hole, maybe even the teardrop part as long as you have a solid place to start the drill bit portion.

I’m gonna take Bruce’s advice and look for another cookbox. On that note: Anybody have a new ( or used ) cookbox for an E330?? I’m in NJ. Thanks.

I guess it could work. The original photos made it look like there was a lip in the casting. Make sure there is a steady hand :D No clue what I'll do with it yet. I'll figure something out LOL.

Back