Genesis E310 Natural Gas models

Mike Leiter

TVWBB Pro
Decided to add another Weber grill to my collection to replace a rusted out other model. Been looking at a Weber Genesis on the higher end and a Spirit 310 on the lower end. Got the gas company to come out and give me an estimate to run a natural gas line to the edge on my patio and it was 120.00. The install price would pay for itself in 2 yrs of LP tank refills so.......

Are you happy with the NG vs LP gas choice in the grills?

Is the Genesis worth the extra cost over the Spirit. Seems like they are pretty close except for heavier built on the Genesis. Both have the enamel coated cast grates and etc.

I really like the Weber line and would like to stick to them and don't need a side burner or sear station to justify another 110.00 on price on the Genesis.

Just looking for some real owners reviews an not hype or con posted on makers web sites that seem biased sometimes....

Thanks Guys.

Performance wise (same model grill) there is absolutely no difference between nat gas vs LP. If you have NG the convenience of not having to drag propane bottles around is well worth the slight difference in cost of the grill.

I have an EP-330 NG and LOVE IT! No more tanks! Cooks great! Personally I think the Genesis is worth the step up.

Would love to have your grill but its hard enough to get the wife to step from the Spirit to the Genesis alone. She cant understand why I need so many grills...LOL The Genesis 310 will do me fine :)and I have a side burner on my other grill if I ever need to use one.

Performance wise (same model grill) there is absolutely no difference between nat gas vs LP. If you have NG the convenience of not having to drag propane bottles around is well worth the slight difference in cost of the grill.

I can actually get the NG or LP grill for the same price in the Genesis but about 20-30 more in the Spirit model for NG. With another grill that uses tanks it would be nice to go to not getting them filled or running out. Price wise I was told by two sources for the cost of a LP tank refill would cost me about 3-4$ in the same amount of NG use. Have to research that a bit an see.

Thanks for the info guys.

I own an older (2007) Genesis and have looked at the Spirits while at the stores and I believe the Genesis is a much better build. I may be wrong, so dont take what I say as gospel but its my understanding that the Spirit is built in China whereas the Genesis and all other Weber grills are built in the USA.

120 Dollars to run the pipe I would do it in a heartbeat. I wish is could have one installed on my patio for that price, I would put in 3 and covert my propane heater and fire pit to NG. I have a Genesis E-330 and it uses a lot of propane, I am on my 8th tank so far this season, keep in mind that I also grill with charcoal a lot.

The only advantage I can see to the Spirit over the Genesis besides initial cost is in theory it should burn less fuel since it has a lower BTU rating.

120 Dollars to run the pipe I would do it in a heartbeat. I wish is could have one installed on my patio for that price, I would put in 3 and covert my propane heater and fire pit to NG. I have a Genesis E-330 and it uses a lot of propane, I am on my 8th tank so far this season, keep in mind that I also grill with charcoal a lot.

The only advantage I can see to the Spirit over the Genesis besides initial cost is in theory it should burn less fuel since it has a lower BTU rating.

Phone quote for the gas line was over 350 to run it 4 ft to edge of house. They came out and realized they could tie into existing pipe, add a T and valve and quick disconnect and it was cheaper. If they would have had to run 6" or more the county requires permits, inspections and etc and it drives the cost up. Tie into existing and I pay for parts and small labor charge. The grill comes with the 10ft hose that gives me more than enough room for moving it a bit from the house when in use.

I may go with the Genesis the more I look at the two. The Genesis is built a bit heavier in the top and will hold heat better for winter cooks.

After looking at the Spirit and the Genesis, I ended up buying an NG 2012 Genesis 330 off Craigslist for $400. I'd rather have that few extra inches of space and not need it than need it and not have it. Maybe it's just the gas pressure in my house (it was built in the 1950s), but I find it heats up slightly slower than my old propane Genesis 3000. I could get that up to 600 in about five minutes, whereas it takes the 330 around 10. Not really a dealbreaker for me, and the gas line dude told me that my pressure would probably be on the lower end anyway. I have found the Sear Station doesn't work all that well with the stainless grill, but when I want to sear something, I use my Lodge reversible griddle and I get excellent grill marks. And that side station comes in handy for firing up my charcoal chimney. Very happy with my NG Genesis.

After looking at the Spirit and the Genesis, I ended up buying an NG 2012 Genesis 330 off Craigslist for $400. I'd rather have that few extra inches of space and not need it than need it and not have it. Maybe it's just the gas pressure in my house (it was built in the 1950s), but I find it heats up slightly slower than my old propane Genesis 3000. I could get that up to 600 in about five minutes, whereas it takes the 330 around 10. Not really a dealbreaker for me, and the gas line dude told me that my pressure would probably be on the lower end anyway. I have found the Sear Station doesn't work all that well with the stainless grill, but when I want to sear something, I use my Lodge reversible griddle and I get excellent grill marks. And that side station comes in handy for firing up my charcoal chimney. Very happy with my NG Genesis.

Thanks for the info. Been watching CL but its usually the higher end grills posted and mostly kettles. Wish I could find a nice NG Genesis on there .

Propane has a much much greater energy density than natural gas does. This is probably normal. In theory theres a valve by the the regulator that allows roughly double the amount of NG to propane to get the same amount of BTUs, but the regulator might be out of whack a bit or you might have the wrong size valve installed.

Last edited:
Well looks like I`m getting the gas line valve and quick disconnect done on the house. I will be picking up the Genesis grill and also getting the orfice and hose to convert my Holland over to NG too. Bye LP tanks but will keep the parts to revert it back if needed..
Trying to find a good deal on a EP version to go with.Would rather have stainless grates over cast ones..

Back