Genesis 1000LX burner problem/question

Brian O’Donnell

TVWBB Member
I am finishing up a restore on a Genesis 1000LX. I just put in the burner tubes, and I’m having a problem. They all light up, but when I turn the dial down, the center tube extinguishes itself. The front and rear burners are just fine. I took the manifold apart and cleaned and lubed it according to the video on this site. The only thing I can think of is the baffle/screen on the front of the tube. But its open about the same as the front or rear. Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas? I appreciate all the tips I get on this site. Thanks!

I am finishing up a restore on a Genesis 1000LX. I just put in the burner tubes, and I’m having a problem. They all light up, but when I turn the dial down, the center tube extinguishes itself. The front and rear burners are just fine. I took the manifold apart and cleaned and lubed it according to the video on this site. The only thing I can think of is the baffle/screen on the front of the tube. But its open about the same as the front or rear. Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas? I appreciate all the tips I get on this site. Thanks!
Hi Make sure the burner tube is seated properly on the manifold. Check the orientation of the burner holes. Check the connection at the cross tube. If everything is ok but the problem exists then swap the valves to see if the problem follows the valve.

Or you could work the other way and start with the tank then regulator.

You should not need to fool with the insect screens other that make sure they clean and clear.

The shudders on the burner tubes would be one of the last things I mess with as long as they all look like they are in a similar position. Did you clean out the burners good? There could be an insect next or some other foreign stuff inside the tube creating problems.
Swapping the middle valve with one of the outside ones would probably be my next attempt to solve the problem. Like BPratt says, if the problem follows the valve, then you know the valve is the issue. It might have something clogging it up or it might just be shot. If the problem stays with the middle valve, you can pretty much zero in on the manifold. Insects could have gotten in and set up shop. You can also do a little visual inspection when you remove the two valves to swap.
I don't think it would be the tank or regulator as they supply fuel to the manifold. It is the manifold that distributes the fuel to the three valves/burners.

The shudders on the burner tubes would be one of the last things I mess with as long as they all look like they are in a similar position. Did you clean out the burners good? There could be an insect next or some other foreign stuff inside the tube creating problems.
Swapping the middle valve with one of the outside ones would probably be my next attempt to solve the problem. Like BPratt says, if the problem follows the valve, then you know the valve is the issue. It might have something clogging it up or it might just be shot. If the problem stays with the middle valve, you can pretty much zero in on the manifold. Insects could have gotten in and set up shop. You can also do a little visual inspection when you remove the two valves to swap.
I don't think it would be the tank or regulator as they supply fuel to the manifold. It is the manifold that distributes the fuel to the three valves/burners.
I always like to eliminate a low pressure tank or goofy regulator. Less wrench work

Other thing is make sure the valves are off before filling the hose and manifold with propane/natural gas

The burners need to be thoroughly cleaned (inside and out). A small brush that can fit inside is a good thing to have, a very stiff wire brush will clean the holes and exterior just fine. Get a can of BrakeKleen and once everything is all brushed clean spray it out with the BrakeKleen really well and if you have a compressor blow them out.

You probably just over lubed that valve and now it's impeding gas flow. Blowing air through that valve with a compressor may be the simple fix. You hate to start tearing things apart if you don't have too.

Thanks everyone! @Steve Hoch you were exactly right. Took the valve apart and gave it a bit of a cleaning and it’s working like a charm! First dinner tonight - burgers. Simple but delicious. Have some learning to do. Burgers were great, but they didn’t quite brown up the way I am used to with my Genesis Silver. All the guts in Genesis 1000 are brand new, don’t know if that had anything to do with it.

Brian, one thing I found: my 1200 had the original Weber regulator with the plastic cap and the vent hole. It started passing gas ;) through the vent hole and I replaced it. It made a big difference in how quickly it heats up (and, I assume, how hot it gets, but I didn't check that.)

It might have saved you from a nuclear meltdown as well.
Oh, yeah! Speaking of which, I lit a chimney full of charcoal the other day and my neighbor called my wife and wanted to know whether I was using the fireplace or maybe my house was on fire. I don't know if it was the smoke or the smell but it's good to have neighbors that watch out for you!

Back