Genesis 1000 wont stay lit

Bob Gore

My genesis 1000 goes out after about 10 minutes. I've cleaned the burner tubes, replaced the regulator and blew out the manifold. It will stay lit if I crack the lid open a little. It's as if it isn't getting enough air. The burner tube screens are clear. Any suggestions?

There is not really much way it can't be getting air if you actually did clean out the tubes. If it's an LP grill I would try a different tank

That's a head scratcher, I guess you need to consider all possibilities now. Is the inside of the grill fairly clean? Cookbox, flavorizer bars, and grease tray? In other words, no other airflow obstructions.

Did you maybe alter the air shutters on the burners when cleaning them. From your description of the symptoms, it does seem like air flow problem. If the grill is cleaned out even halfway decent, you should be getting plenty of air flow to keep the flames lit.
This is an odd problem and not really the same as I have ever seen before.

It's not an air flow issue. It's gas flow. Even if the air shutters were completely shut off there is sufficient O2 to allow combustion. Maybe not the cleanest combustion but it would have flames. And unless you totally sealed the cooking chamber there is no way on earth to remove enough air to kill combustion. It's gas flow.

Larry, that is my thoughts as well. But, I am just going with what the OP said about having to keep the lid open to keep the flames lit. I also think it is something limiting gas flow. But I cannot figure out what opening or closing the lid could do to change that.

Maybe a video showing how the lid closing and opening affects the flame levels would help.

Larry, that is my thoughts as well. But, I am just going with what the OP said about having to keep the lid open to keep the flames lit. I also think it is something limiting gas flow. But I cannot figure out what opening or closing the lid could do to change that.
If anything opening the lid would allow them to blow out. I'm thinking something is not right here. What is being described is simply just not possible.

My genesis 1000 goes out after about 10 minutes. I've cleaned the burner tubes, replaced the regulator and blew out the manifold. It will stay lit if I crack the lid open a little. It's as if it isn't getting enough air. The burner tube screens are clear. Any suggestions?

Bob,

Welcome. Maybe if we can see the burner flames with the lid open we can help to remotely debug this.

Can you remove the grates and the flavorizer bars light the burners and take a pic of the flame on the burner?

I've attached a picture of the burner tubes which I think are in pretty good shape. I also have a video of the lit burner box.

Flames definitely look good. Very odd issue…I can’t fathom why cracking the lid would allow to stay lit? Head scratcher.

Back