Genesis 1000 Red Head Question

Dave_C

TVWBB Fan
Back about 18 months ago I did a screen grab on a picture of a Genesis 1000 Red Head that someone posted. I had just picked a Red Head up and I really liked the finish of the wood in the pic, actually the whole dang grill looks really nice. So, I decided to throw this out there after searching through post for the original thread/picture with no luck. So I decided to post the picture ( again this is not my grill but a screen grab from someone else) and my hope was who ever posted the original grill pic might be able to give me some insight on what they finished the wood pieces with ie, oil rubbed, stain, sealer or what ever the did to the slats because that's the finish I'm want on my Red Head.
If this breaks any rules just remove it, my intent is to find the original post/poster to get some tips and the wood finish for my Red Head!

Here's the Picture ( again this is not my grill but a screen grab from someone else's restore job and I'm just looking for info)
1666544027353.jpeg

Hey Dave,

I can't say on that specific one, but here is an index to a bunch of restored grills of different vintages. Perhaps you'll find what you are looking for.

Hey Dave,

I can't say on that specific one, but here is an index to a bunch of restored grills of different vintages. Perhaps you'll find what you are looking for.

Thanks Dan!! I found the thread and it was by @J Grotz It was a very detailed resto and he did give the info on the wood and the Oil rub he used. Apparently he replaced his slats with Red Wood. I have the original slats do you know what type wood that is?

Dave, according to a friend of mine that worked at Weber during that time period, most of the wood used on the grills was maple. I think that cedar was also used and the way to tell the difference was what color it was stained. Gray=maple and red=cedar. I don't know that this is gospel or just his recollection of what they did.

Dave, according to a friend of mine that worked at Weber during that time period, most of the wood used on the grills was maple. I think that cedar was also used and the way to tell the difference was what color it was stained. Gray=maple and red=cedar. I don't know that this is gospel or just his recollection of what they did.
The slats I have are red and I do believe its cedar like you mentioned.

I bought a Genesis in 1993, and thought it was poplar, maybe basswood.

Whatever it was, it was shot after a few years and I replaced it with teak- at least 25 years ago.

I think the person doesn't know their wood. They used wood like either cedar or redwoo
Dave, I'm certainly not claiming to be an expert on this, but I'm tempted to say that's not the original wood. The handle in particular doesn't look right, at least in that picture.
I think that was the back side I flipped it over and took another pic. This side the slots are beveled.
1666558890064.jpeg

I'm not well versed in Weber history! Is there a difference between Genesis 1-5 and 1000 - 5000? Just curious
There are a handful of small differences between the two. If you find a picture of a Genesis 1 and compare it to what your grill looks like you will spot most of the differences right away.

There are a handful of small differences between the two. If you find a picture of a Genesis 1 and compare it to what your grill looks like you will spot most of the differences right away.
This one is a 1996 model so it likely has redwood slats? It will be my personal grill and I really want do it up right. Taking pics along the way and will post them when it’s finished.

1666578432922.jpeg

Back