Genesis 1000 LX restoration

Bob Ketchum

New to the board. Through my looking through the various posts it gave me the courage to buy and restore an older Genesis. Now I'm on day 2, still cleaning the firebox. I'm taking photos of everything and will post my adventures to group. Now my first question. The older Webers came with a regulator that used an 1/8" npt fitting. I purchased at the local Ace a new regulator with a 3/8" flare end. Can I just change the elbow on the manifold and is the regulator the same? It is the 7502, I should have ordered the 7503 which came with the 1/8" end. First lesson!

Bob all propane regulators are set up for 11 inches water column pressure so you should be good to go. Just use fittings as necessary and a new hose would be good. As to your quesrion about valves use gas valce grease r plumbers grease. A small Amount is all that is necessary. Will send details later

Here are some "before" pix of my project.The CL listing pix and some I took at home to give perspective.

Day01-1.jpg

CraigsListPicture2.jpg

CraigsListPicture.jpg

Next up is Day 1 tear down. Tossing all the old rusty junk and cleaning,cleaning,cleaning. No real surprises at this point. I was hoping that the burners might live for a season or so, but when I examined them they were split.

Day21-2.jpg

Day41.jpg

Did you consider removing the ends from the lid?

And if no one has said this yet... welcome to the Virtual Weber Bullet!

Also... You can include pix in your post by clicking the photo button above the text window and entering the URL.
Day46.jpg

Walter,
Thanks for the welcome. Also, thanks for the photo tip. Yes I considered removing the bolts for the sides of the lid. My issue was, I had to cut so many of the bolts off with an abrasive wheel. especially inside the firebox. I didn't see much benefit to removing the side when compared with the effort to remove the bolts. I understand from this group you don't want to paint the inside of the sides which would be much more accessible with the side off. Again thanks.

That.looks.awesome!

So is the criss crossed flavorizers a stock set up on those grill or is that something you added for fun?

Shiny!

It's amazing how the porcelain enamel on the lid holds up! I love the way mine looks but even more, how it cooks.

What did you do to rejuvenate the emblem on your lid? I hit mine with very find sandpaper on a block but it looks like you either used more elbow grease or did something that worked better.

Justin, Thanks. The older Genesis gassers have a second row of 8 bars that rest in notches on the firebox like the longer ones. I have NOT tried it out yet to let you know how they work.
icon_frown.gif

But I will when I finish.
Walter, Thank-you, I thought about your previous post about the side plates on the lid. I started spraying WD-40 on the bolts for a few days as I worked on other areas on the grill. I also "chased" the threads with a nut. To my surprise they all came out with just a little effort! Then I was able to really clean the lid part and now I have to figure out how to re-fasten the lid. Those old bolts just don't seem right anymore. As far as the emblem I just cleaned it up with a wire brush, resprayed let it dry a couple of days. Then I flat sanded it with a sheet of 280 on a flat surface.
More to follow

Back