Genesis 1000 Frame Repairs

Derek I

My Genesis 1000 Green Top was purchased new in 1998. After 24 years, and only modest attention (new burners, new regulator/manifold, new flavorizor bars, cast iron grates), I've hit a problem that I can't contend with. The frame is rusting to the point where I don't quite know how to deal with it. The worst spot is (and has been for a while) in the middle of the left side of the cooking box, where the rust holes are big enough to see through.

Photo May 30, 7 21 54 PM.jpg

More immediately, though, are the undercarriage frame pieces. They are just 24" x 1" square tubes bolted to the legs with (I assume) threaded tube inserts that have turned completely to dust. After a mild bump today (1" drop from pavers), the structure of the frame seemed to give way, and all of the bolts holding the legs to the bottom tubes are now hanging free.

Photo May 30, 5 43 48 PM.jpg

I think I can find the necessary parts to fix the front and back bottom tubes, or possibly replace them -- the tubes themselves are showing some surface rust. The concern I have is with the upper frame itself, and how it's attached to the legs. It looks like the four remaining pieces are just held together with four more bolts, but those don't seem particularly sturdy. Considering the condition of the main upper frame piece, I'm not too excited about performing any heroic repair work without addressing that issue. I haven't even fully disassembled the grill to get a closer look at the frame, partly in fear that I'd never get it to hold together again.

Would anyone who has done a full rehab on this model give me some insights? Is it possible to find replacement frame pieces?

Attachments

• Photo May 30, 7 22 42 PM.jpg
    Photo May 30, 7 22 42 PM.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 11
This should solve most of your issues. It is dedicated to the crossmember that is rusted through on your grill, but the same repairs can be done to the bottom frame pieces as well. If those pieces are not rusted too bad, you can simply reuse them or buy new square tube stock at a big box store and cut it to size.

I suggest make sure you use the round connectors instead of the square ones. The square ones are actually leveling inserts. They will work, but not as securely as the round style.

I can vouch for Bruce's advice. I know it's scary to take it apart, but use those inserts and you can solve all of the problems with your grill.

I have completely disassembled that same grill to deal with rust issues. I have to admit that I didn't have any rust on the crossmember next to the firebox. I did find rust in a few other areas. The good news is that it's not super difficult to take the entire grill apart, and the metal that the frame is made from is super thick by today's standards. You may be able to fix some rust by grinding out and filling it in with high heat JB weld, it worked pretty well for me. Bruce's video on replacing the cookbox crossmember is excellent if you need to go that route. If it was your grill originally and you still have the owner's manual, it is excellent resource material for putting the grill back together the right way.

Thanks, Bruce.

Any links for the round connectors? I think I'm going to fix the bottom frame to gain stability before I tackle the crossmember. I'll need to get some tools and expertise before I take that project on. Unfortunately, this is my daily driver, so I'll need to work quickly. The family is particularly sensitive to downtime.

If it was your grill originally and you still have the owner's manual, it is excellent resource material for putting the grill back together the right way.
Ah! Good point. I do have the owner's manual (as well as the original receipt), and it goes into quite a bit of detail about assembly.

You could also track down another similar grill to use while making repairs ( what I did ) or use the other grill for parts to make yours nicer.

You could also track down another similar grill to use while making repairs ( what I did ) or use the other grill for parts to make yours nicer.

If you look for donors, in addition to genesis 1000 grills, the lefthand side of a 2000 or 2001 silver B frame will work.

I used half a Silver B on this grill. The lower rails are from the 1000.

20220530_191847.jpg

The parts highlighted in green were from a 2001 silver B
20220530_200243.jpg

Derek, if all you're looking to do at this point is make your grill stable again, the star tubing connectors that Bruce posted the links for will solve that. I may be getting ahead of your intentions on this project 🤔

If you look for donors, in addition to genesis 1000 grills, the lefthand side of a 2000 or 2001 silver B frame will work.

I never really looked to see just how many old Genesis grills are out there. After a quick glance at craigslist, it appears that there are about a half dozen people trying to get rid of their grills in my area. Some of them might make an excellent frame donor. Hmm...

I remember looking at how shoddy my grill ( also a 1998 owned since new) had become. I was going to just buy a new one and started to look at the new Webers while making my trips to Home Depot and Ace Hardware. After examining them a few times I decided that there was no way I would be happy with a new one. I started buying new parts for the old one and thankfully ran across this forum. Whatever you decide to do you will find the support and know how to do it here.

Derek, it didn't take long, but you are already showing clear signs of "Weberitis". As symptoms progress, you will find several Weber grills in various states of condition showing up in your drive way. You will find tools and supplies for working on them start to appear in your garage. Eventually you will have multiple grills for personal use and possibly be selling others that you have rehabbed.

Sigh...

My order of the tube connector nuts came back wrong. They sent leveling inserts instead of round star nuts. I might just try them to see if they work.

Sigh...

My order of the tube connector nuts came back wrong. They sent leveling inserts instead of round star nuts. I might just try them to see if they work.
I think you can grind them down so they fit flush inside.

You could probably do that, but then you will be grinding the galvanized metal and destroy the rust resistance of it. I would probably try them. If they don't hold up, then you can always order the correct ones.

Success!

I can see the inserts, but it's not too unsightly, and it's all holding together just fine. I think I may have installed them in a different place than they were originally, as you can see from the wear pattern on the black paint.

Now for the major frame repair...well, maybe later this Summer.

Attachments

• Photo Jun 03, 1 48 06 PM.jpg
    Photo Jun 03, 1 48 06 PM.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 29
Looks good to me.

Your grill will probably be just fine for a while, but don't put off the repair on the cook box cross member too long.

Back