Gen 2 performer rust spots question

AndySo

TVWBB Member
I lucked out on a free gen 2 performer in my area and brought it home. After taking the kettle apart and cleaning everything thoroughly, it looks like I just need a new burner assembly which I've got on order. The kettle itself looks to be in good shape except for a few areas of external rust where the enamel is gone. I don't know what causes it but those rust spots line up perfect with the grate holders that are welded into the bowl itself. I assume it has something to do with the welded metal there that caused the porcelain coating to not stick. Is there anything I can do to touch it up? I know there is nothing that can replicate the porcelain coating but I'd like to try to slow down or stop the corrosion so I can keep going with this thing for many years to come. The rust spots don't look bad at all in my opinion, it appears to be surface stuff, but regardless I'd like to stop it from going any further.

Also, the thermometer that goes through the lid appears to be done for, any recommendations for a replacement thermometer? not necessarily weber brand.

I have not dealt with the kind of rust you are referring to, I have heard on here that you can remove any flake material around the rust area and sand clean with rubbing alcohol and touch up with a spray paint that matches your color closely. Just spray the paint into the cap and use small paint brush to fill in the affected areas, you may need to repaint more than once to get good coverage.
Seems the thermometer is basically just for reference any thermo would do but and original would look better.

For the rust spots put a light coat of cooking oil and get your grill hot that will stop the rust. As for the Thermo I think Tel Tru makes one that will fit the bezel that is around the OEM thermo.

Back