Gas Grill in place of WSM?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Why isn't a gas good a good substitute for a true charcoal or wood burning smoker? With the temp control, I can put one of my three weber burners on low and the other two off and maintain 250 degrees at the lid for as long as i want. It burns very little fuel at this setting and eliminates tinkering with it to maintain temps. For added flavor, wood chips can easy be added.

Is this a good way to bar b q ribs and pork butts? what's the draw back? just curious.

I think there would be some drying effect by using propane as a fuel source as opposed to wood or charcoal. Certainly many in the NC area do have large set ups which utilize gas in whole pig cookers, but the situation with cooking in a smaller, confined area like a WSM cooker would probably be different.

Paul

I've tried smoking ribs on my gasser, low and slow and indirect, but they never come out as tender as they do on the WSM. Don't know why, but using the same recipe on both the gasser and the WSM seems to yeild very different results.

Darnell.

also, don't underestimate the subtle, but noticable (and in my opinion critical) flavor imparted by using charcoal, let alone wood smoke.

Another thing about WSM is that it is very efficient in its smoking ability, in that the smoke is carried directly over, around, etc. the meat as it passes up. In a gasser, if you use wood chips, it takes quite a lot to get the right kind of smoke to really flavor the meat. It usually mostly escapes before it goes anywhere near the meat. While offset smokers have the same horizontal set up, offsets are designed for proper smoke/air flow to maximize that smoke passing the meat, etc. (intakes are below the grate, single our double outtakes are above, with vents, flanges, etc., to completely control the movement of smoke. In a gasser, they just aren't designed to do that.

Last thing I'll say is that unless you have a big gasser, I have a hard time getting even heat in it. The part closer to the heat source is 50 degrees hotter than the part on the other side. So, for even cooking, I've got to flip the sucker every half hour. Considering I don't have to fiddle at all with the WSM once it is started (it maintains it's heat so well I don't touch the vents even) having to flip, add wood chips, etc. negates any convenience benefit from doing it on a gasser.

All that said, it doesn't mean you can't produce good slow cooked Q in a gasser. I just find it easier on a WSM and the end result is consistently far better.

Did you see the King of the Hill episode where Hank is out of town and Peggy or Bobby sneaks in the charcoal grill? TV can be very educational at times.

Guess I have to go against the grain here and say I've had good luck with ribs on my gasser. I haven't done a side by side comparison though.
icon_smile.gif

One thing I would like to say is that the design of the 'smoker box' that Weber sells for the Genesis is terrible. The box lays across the left-hand side of all three burners. If I'm cooking low and slow I've only got *one* of the burners lit so I'm constantly pushing the unburned chips towards the back so they'll burn.
icon_frown.gif

I think there is a big difference in taste when cooking over gas compared to charcoal/lump...as it applies to pork butts. Gas is the easy way to do it, and is efficient when cooking multiple hogs. I guess it depends on your definition of BBQ? To me, BBQ is a NOUN....slowly cooked pork....not a VERB.

Back