Garlic smoked turkey

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've lurked on this board for almost a year. Topics are generally covered so thoroughly that I have never had anything worthwhile to post! But here's something I don't recall reading about and wanted to share. This past Thanksgiving I smoked a turkey. The outside I merely coated with olive oil and sprinkled with Kosher salt. For the cavity, I took a whole (good sized) bulb of garlic, peeled some of the outside, sliced a chunk off the top to open up some of the cloves and put the whole thing in. Roasting garlic is one of those unique odors that just makes your mouth water. My whole back yard smelled wonderful while this was cooking. And sure enough, it penetrated the meat quite well and made this one of the best smoked turkeys I've ever eaten. And when served, several guests saw the roasted bulb and pulled out individual cloves to nibble. For those who have never eaten roasted garlic,it's not as bad as it sounds--it's quite buttery and not too pungent, and mild enough to spread on bread.

Oh, and thanks to Chris for the detailed instructions on running the WSM at 350. I used a waterless pan, foiled after a cup or so of sand was added.

That is a good idea. I have not been able to get any spice to add flavor other than (penzeys)italian herbs sprinkled over the skin after oiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back