Garlic Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I recently purchased some Garlic Garni seasoning at a local festival and have enjoyed it on quite a few items. I was thinking of making up my own Garlic seasoning and was wondering if it would be possible to lightly smoke a couple gloves of garlic, then pop them in the dehydrator and then grind them up into a powder and mix with a few other items. Should this work, has anybody ever made there own Garlic powder before. I would imagine the smoking process would be similiar to the dried tomatoes cook. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Matt

Hi Matt...

I been making my own garlic for the last year. Bruce Cook taught me and it is the only way I will use garlic.

Go to Sam's or a food wholesaler and buy the large jar of pre-peeled cloves. Place these on a wire mesh rack and smoke until dry...keep your temps below 180?..preferably around 150?. If your temps rise above 180?, you will start to cook it which is not what you want.

You can dry them in the dehumidifyer, but I have had success keeping them and drying them right in the WSM. It takes a long time though so be prepared.

You should buy a burr mill grinder to do the grinding as a regular coffee mill will not get you to the powder stage. If you do use the burr mill, the garlic must be TOTALLY dry...any moisture will clog the machine and ruin it. I brought my first one back to exchange after learning this lesson! LOL

The taste is very unique and very fresh.....like nothing you have ever tasted in a garlic powder.

Go for it! It really is easy!

I've not done it in a while. A while back I did make a batch using a food dehydrator and a blade type coffee grinder and the result was fantastic. May have to do that again real soon.

Thanks for the info Stogie, maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. Any approximate times for drying out the Garlic in the WSM, longer than beef jerky? Also did you use any smoke wood and the water pan when you did it last. Thanks again, can't wait till Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back