Garam Masala

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Almost all of the 25 plus recipes I have for Garam Masala say to use seeds, toast, then grind. I didn't mind doing that when I was younger, but now I take a short cut. lol Here is a recipe that I have come up with that is much easier and faster and makes 2 3/4 tsp. so not much left over to sit around and go stale if not used, but enough to make at least 2 or 3 meals.

Garam Masala

1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground garlic

Source: Joan

I know this should be a little more on the hot spicy side, but not for me. Please feel free to add whatever you want. lol

Every now and then I catch myself doing 5 steps when there is a one or two step option. Sometimes it pays to take the time. Sometimes not.

Hi Steve, I know what you mean. I would rather toast the seeds, but sometimes there isn't enough time. lol

Hi Steve, we have it in 3 ways. Ground, black pods, green pods. I don't know what they taste like, but the green pods, when cracked open, smell like lemon and orange. The ground cardamom can be used in everything from bread, chicken, desserts, meats, rice, vegetables. Also used a lot in curry recipes. (hope you like curry). If you do buy it and need any recipes to use it in, just let me know. lol

So I'm embarrassed to say I accidently bought some of this at the local shop a while ago and have no idea what to do with it. What are you going to use this for?

Russ, this is what I posted for you over a month ago. I know you would not ignore a fellow Floridian, so I am going to assume you did not see this on the poultry thread. lol

Grilled Chicken Tikka Skewers

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1" piece
1 lemon
1 large clove garlic, peeled
1/2" fresh ginger, peeled
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 small red chile, stemmed and seeded
1 1/2 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 TB. ketchup
2 tsp. garam masala
salt
2 medium red onions, each cut into 12 pieces
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 prepared naan or pita, toasted and buttered, for serving

1. Place the thighs in a large resealable plastic bag; squeeze the lemon on top and set aside.
2. Into a food processor with the motor running, drop the garlic and ginger. Add the yellow onion and chile and pulse to chop. Add the yogurt, ketchup, garam masala and 1 tsp. salt; process until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup of the yogurt mixture and spoon the remaining mixture over the thighs; squeeze out the air and seal the bag. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
3. Thread the chicken and red onion pieces onto 12 six-inch-long skewers.
4. Preheat a grill to medium. Grill skewers, covered, turning occasionally, until onion is tender and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle skewers with cilantro and serve with naan and reserved yogurt sauce. Serves 4 to 6

Source: Rachael Ray mag. 9-13

Looks good for sure. Since I have a bowl of the stuff to use I'll be giving it a shot. Thanks for that!

When you say a small red chili, do you mean like a Thai chili or something bigger?

I made the spices tonight for a recipe. Will post the recipe if it turns out good. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back