Full griddle on Q1200?

DaveF in IL

TVWBB Member
My wife and kids got me a Q1200 for Father's Day which I'm excited to try out. We have a camping trip coming up next week and I was wondering about getting a griddle insert for breakfast usage. Weber only sells the half griddle, and I guess the reviews say that if you use 2 griddle halves to have a full griddle then there's not enough airflow to keep the flame going.

However, there's 3rd parties that sell full griddles with seemingly good reviews, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/SafBbcue-Griddle-52020001-Cast-Iron/dp/B0BGRH6RNG?tag=tvwb-20

Does anyone here have experience with those? Do they work OK? Any other advice or thoughts appreciated as well!

I don't think it's a good idea to fully cover the (close off) the grill. If you ever look at an actual griddle which has the burners under it like the Slate or such. The heating chambre is never tightly covered by the cooking surface. The inserts for the Q are fully "inset' into the grill body. So, excess heat would build up incredibly fast, possibly to dangerous amounts.

Back