Fuel question

S. Dover

TVWBB Fan
If the weather holds out tomorrow I am planning on 2 BCC and about 8 thighs. I was thinking of doing them together (BCC on bottom-thighs on top). If I do, would 1 lit and 1 unlit chimney get me there or should I up it to 1.5 or 2 lit to compensate for the added meat? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve - what temperature do you want to cook them (i.e., do you want to cook them high heat or low and slow)?

If you were doing low and slow, I'd do 1.5 - 2 chimneys of unlit, then plop on about 1/3 of a chimney of lit stuff on top. If you are doing high heat (my preference for chicken) then I'd do two fully lit chimneys, with 15 or so unlit briquettes on top just to sustain the ~ 350 temps.

good luck.

Well, the weather held out and I got the birds done. Smoked 2 BCC and 7 thighs. The first BCC was rubbed with River City Rub's chicken rub and the second was covered with Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Rub. I did not have any beer or apple juice to put in the cans so I put pineapple juice in for #1 and a combination of Italian dressing and Moore’s Marinade in #2. Started with 2 chimneys and the WSM held 325 through both BCC.

The thighs were soaked overnight in Italian dressing and then dried in the fridge for 4 hours. I then experimented with the following flavors: teriyaki, River City Rub's chicken marinade and Soakin' Sauce.

The first BCC took a little over 1.5 hours and the second took almost 2 (it was a little larger that the first). I then placed another chimney of coals in the ring, removed the foiled water pan and cranked her up to about 375 for the thighs. Used Brads technique again of 20 down, 20 up and 20 sauce. The thighswere ready in less than an hour.

The wife will be out of town for the rest of the week so I had to make my leftovers now.

Back