Frying a Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musky-Hunter

TVWBB Member
Dare I bring this topic up on this board? I love my WSM but I'm considering to fry a turkey this year. I'm falling victim of all the hype I guess. The question I have is, is it _really_ worth it for me to spend $80 on a good fryer and another $20 on penut oil?

I was going to buy a breast but saw the $2.99/lb price on breasts and got a full bird. I'm not confident smoking a full bird because of the inconsistent cook times on the various parts. So I guess its spend the money on the fryer or do the old traditional oven method.

I will smoke and fry a bird this year, my personel favorite is fried, Yes it is worth it, if you inject. I do a Cajun injection of
2 cubes butter
2 tbs onion juice
2 tbs garlic juice ( I use a juicer to make my own onion and garlic juice)
2 tbs crab boil
2 tbs worch sauce
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
hot sauce to taste
Cook to 180 in the thigh (thickest part)

A turkey frier also makes a great place to start charcoal.
Have a great ThanksGiving
Jim

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Jim Minion ]

Hey Musky,

Did you ever try that duck recipe I posted? I love fried turkey. I bring the oil up to 375 and SLOWLY drop it in and cook at 320-350 degrees for 3 1/2 minutes a pound. Internal temp I like is 150 deg. in the breast as it goes up after resting for 20-25 minutes.

Thanks for the replys. I guess I'm off to Galyans to get me a fryer, then off to Costco for the peanut oil. I wish I had bought the one I saw at Bass Pro a couple weeks ago. It has a nice spicket at the bottom.

Jeff:
A family event (WTC) came up that took me away and I wasn't able to do that duck. I do plan to get to it as soon as the local lakes ice up. Thanks.

Thanks for someone broaching the subject!!
I have only tasted fried turkey once and it didn't tast like it was fried enough. I am going to fry some next week to see if that is the way they come out for everyone. The fryer kit I bought also came with a basket that is primo for Cajun Boil. I took a half
pot of cold water to a rolling boil in 17 minutes!! I ahve a question for the group:
Approxamately how much frying time does a full propane bottle provide. I am talking aboutthe ones that come with ags cookers.
I will have backup if needed but was just curious.

Pat:

It took about 1/2 hour to bring the oil (35lbs) up to temp and about 50 min more for cook time. I used approximately 1/3 of a 17.5lb standard propane tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back