Fruit wood convert

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
I did my first butt yesterday with straight fruit wood. Now, you have to understand I'm a"hickory nut" sort of speak. I love the smell of hickory smoking BUT the aroma's coming out of the WSM using the fruit wood alone were, to say the least ,intoxicating. Used apple and maple. I don't know if I'll ever use straight hickory again. Anybody take a huge stash of hickory sticks in trade???

Ah, yes, my son, a whole luscious world awaits you! Apple, cherry, persimmon, peach (heaven with pork), apricot... visit a local orchard (possibly Engelbrecht Orchards?), get acquainted with them, and make an offer to trade them BBQ for branches from their woodpiles. That's how we get our peach wood.

Keri C

Keri, I'm amazed that you know about Englebrechts Orchard!!! I've got a friend who will give me all the fruit wood prunings I want. Right now I've got pear wood of his aging in the back of my pickup. Should be ready to use.

Paul, I'm a big fan of hickory also. I don't mind fruit wood, but love the sweetness of the hickory wood. One combo I've found to be absolutely wonderful with pork is hickory mixed with cherry.

Big fan of hickory here also. Going to do Tom Rs Salmon cube recipe tomorrow and if I cant get my hands on Alder, what I will use is up in the air so to speak. But Keri is right. Lots of wood to try. Think I will start a new thread!

I wish there were some place up here in NJ that sold fist sized chunks of various fruitwoods by the bag so I could experiment more. Home Depot and Loews only carry Hickory and Mesquite and I've seen Oak in some other stores, but that's about it.

Don't know where in NJ you are, but check with your local orchards. I've got one a mile from the house. November is tree trimming season so the pile should be pretty big. I can basically fill up half my cars trunk for about five bucks. I'll split the wood and let it season over the winter and then cut it into chunks as needed by next spring.

Russ, what orchard do you get your prunings from and what do they have available? Is there anyone in particular there to talk to? I work in Hamilton, so a little side trip to load up on some wood would be no problem for me. There's an apple and peach orchard less than a minute from my house, but I have had no luck finding out who does their trimming and if anything is available. TIA

Same here Paul, I was a "hickory nut" once too. Since I've found out about fruit woods my hickory pile hasn't changed, it's still piled high.
icon_smile.gif

You still going to the CBJ class in St. Louis? I'll be there for sure. Hope to see you there too.

Rick

Rick, Still planning on going to the CBJ class. I'm registered and paid. Unless we have a huge snow that day I'll be there.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Same here Paul, I was a "hickory nut" once too. Since I've found out about fruit woods my hickory pile hasn't changed, it's still piled high.
icon_smile.gif

You still going to the CBJ class in St. Louis? I'll be there for sure. Hope to see you there too.

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back